The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I have a 20 gal high that is 8-9 months old. I have 4 fish and 10 asorted cleaning crew. I have some spreading zoas and 4 tube anemones. I am thinking of getting a stalk of xenia but unsure of the lighting I have. Its 108 watts of power compact. 1 daylight, 1 50\50 and 1 full act. 36wtts each. It sits directly on top of the tank about 2" from the water. Is this strong enough light to have an xenia?

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
To start I have a 20 gal high that is 8-9 months old. I have 4 fish and 10 asorted cleaning crew. I have some spreading zoas and 4 tube anemones. I am thinking of getting a stalk of xenia but unsure of the lighting I have. Its 108 watts of power compact. 1 daylight, 1 50\50 and 1 full act. 36wtts each. It sits directly on top of the tank about 2" from the water. Is this strong enough light to have an xenia?
Put the xenia on top in some medium flow and theyll spread real fast.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,392 Posts
Crappy light, crappy flow and crappy water quality and they will flourish. In the early days of our nano they did great and as the tank matured the xenia all died off.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Seriously, as the others stated, you shouldn't have a problem. Just have it higher up in the tank with some medium flow around it so it's waving gently and you'll be good to go. I'd consider upgrading your lights though to some T5s. You get more bang for your buck with them as they are about 2 or 3 times as bright as PC bulbs and use less electricity. I'm using PCs right now but I'm upgrading to T5s the next chance I get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thnx for the okay to go. I got one yesterday and is doing great so far. I had to get a buffer called eight.four to keep my ph up. Other than that all should be ship shape baring some major F up with the ph changes.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Xenias like both my nano reefs. Haven't had problems yet. Mine are growing fairly slow. They have been good corals for me. They split an aweful lot though. I've probably got about 12 different colonies now, each no bigger than an inch.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I have a monster skimmer, skim quite wet, have a turf scrubber and do plenty of WC's...my Xenia grows like crazy...while I do believe Xenia do better with more nutrients, I don't think "dirty" nutrients are necessary to keep it.

As for light, I have some in a 10g with two "WalMart" 6500K twisty bulbs over it, and it does just as well under that light as the intense light in my 125...so I think you'll be good on light too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts