The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if fish help coral grow? I understand its all about feeding and lighting for coral but do the fish benefit at all?

I noticed at my LFS they always have a fish or 2 in the coral growing area. I started a coral only tank in my room about a month ago and just wondering if i should throw one of my fish in it if it helps or does it hurt because fish produce ammonia?

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Fish produce waste which a lot of corals can nom on and grow (they pull nutrients out of the water column). Fish can also keep "pesky critters" out of a reef setting, reef-safe wrasses are well known reef fish because they constantly graze on flora and fauna on LR. Many LFS setups will include a sixline wrasse or a damselfish (they eat bristleworms/flatworms).

It depends on your setup and your preference for adding fish, what your tank can handle and what you want. The corals can do perfectly fine on their own :)

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm great info! I have a stripped damsel (ref) i will try to catch from my main tank and move him over.

Thanks!

Any suggestion on how to catch that fast bugger! lol

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
No problem :) how big/mature is the coral tank? Your OP said you set it up a month ago, but I'm assuming you used rock/sand/water from your DT to "skip" the cycle... You'll want to start ghost feeding before adding a fish just to give your bacteria pops a leg up.

Humbug damsels can get very large and very mean and I think both types need 30 gallons min...

I caught my yellow tail damsel the first time because I chased it around the tank until it gave up the ghost. The second time (in a 10g) I scooped her up in my hand. The third time, she was hiding in her nest, which is an old, open ended barnacle. You may be able to trap it with a bottle trap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts