The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
9,745 Posts
That is common. You are describing a territorial response. Also a learned habit, and yes they are not smart enough to realize it's not a good idea to attack something 100 times their size. I have a cool video of a damsel trying to chase an eel away. Sticks it's tail right in his mouth. Like I said, they aren't "smart", but they can learn.

· Registered
990 Posts
Hi Edge, I've been able to get past the nipping with every clown I've ever had - by wearing gloves for a couple of months, so I don't feel it if they nipped me. They all seemed to give up nipping if I didn't respond to it.

How many of you think your fish can recognize you (primary feeder) from another person? Mine seem to do so.

· Registered
230 Posts
Mine for shure do. They know what the white plastic spoon means, and they all come to the front of the tank, but when my girlfriend feeds them they tend to hide. They are getting better they'll come around when she gets near the tank, and it seems that my Ocellaris likes the camera cuz everytime she takes a pic be it of a coral or my other fish he always seems to get his face in the pic somehow. LOL
My Ocellaris doesn't nip he rams my hand until I take it out of the tank, it doesn't matter how many times he tries I think he would attack it until he died and that worries me.

· Registered
215 Posts
it is a chopped up nemo in your avatar.

btw they are not tasty. rock fish (reef fish) mostly are not tasty. very few are (like squirrel, trigger and gobies are very tasty).

· Registered
215 Posts
gregt:snappers are deepwater. groupers, especially the panther and the miniatus are the best!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.