The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Awes,

Do fish have emotions? Well, plants seem to have them (apparently). And higher organisms have them.
Whether fish have pain sensory equipment just like ours seems besides the point. They detect injury and respond to it, that's beyond doubt.

Since fish can die from stress (not physical stress, but mental stress), it pretty much indicates they have emotions.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think Greg made a great point - they do feel fear. And what could fear be except a memory of pain.
Actually, everybody made good points! :)
If they've proved that plants have emotions (which I think they did, at UCLA) then nobody could convince me fish don't have them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think it's reasonable for carnivores and omnivores to kill for food without guilt (or simply to hunt to retain the skills and utilize them, for that matter). Come to that, (since plants apparently feel pain) we can't avoid causing pain in order to survive.
I glossed the articles, but the authors seemed to be talking about emotional pain rather than nerve endings firing off type of pain. Did anyone else get that idea?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Edge, I've been able to get past the nipping with every clown I've ever had - by wearing gloves for a couple of months, so I don't feel it if they nipped me. They all seemed to give up nipping if I didn't respond to it.

How many of you think your fish can recognize you (primary feeder) from another person? Mine seem to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.