The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had a xenia frag in the tank and they were all over it. there is hundreds of them in the tank. i am afraid that if there is no food source for them, they will start eating the frags i put in the tank.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
those are generally just harmless detrital eaters. how long has the tank been setup? most people find it difficult to keep Xenia in a tank that is older than about 6months. something changes as the tank matures and Xenia have a hard time adapting. how long has your system been up? you could just be hitting this Xenia wall.

G~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about 6 months. the xenia was growing great in the tank. i just dont want them to kill it. the only fish in the tank is a yellow clown goby about 3/4" long. the goby eats the small pods, but some are almost the same size of him.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Not impossible but I've never seen this happen. I have tons of them and they don't hurt anything. they just feed my mandarin

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
about 6 months. the xenia was growing great in the tank. i just dont want them to kill it. the only fish in the tank is a yellow clown goby about 3/4" long. the goby eats the small pods, but some are almost the same size of him.
My Xenia, a HUGE patch made it through the maturing transition but did not look good at all. It was closed up and receded for a few weeks. now it's better than ever and growing like crazy!!

If the pods have infested it they could be pissing it off. Pods do not like light. are there places for them to hide? Mine are in the live rock.

If they are pods and you have a ample supply of them a manderin would take care of them. Keep in mind that once all the pods are gone the manderin will die, thats why most say to wait a year or so before buying one so you build a good pod poppluation.

If there 3/4" I dont think there PODS do you have a pic? Do they look like this?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts