The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf's tank has at least Eunicid worms residing in the rockwork. We've only seen about 2 inches of one and close to 8 inches of the other. They are segmented, def not typical bristle worms, they have the antennae and mean jaws I've seen/read about online. He's left the worms alone since the tank had no coral, just fish, LR/LS & CUC but recently added a few corals; a galaxia, mushrooms and what looks like either a taro tree or colt coral. An arm was severed off of the taro/colt the other morning. We don't know for sure a worm did it, but they are getting bigger and we want to be prepared if more damage occurs. It's kind of a shame, we like watching them come out and eat. Creepy but kind of cool!

Anyway, long story short, has anyone made a DIY worm trap to get rid of these guys?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So he dug out the larger worm since it was in its own rock. It was mostly greenish and 9" long! He has pictures but they aren't very clear. Pretty creepy! :worm:
We're not sure how we're going to get the smaller dark brown one out. We haven't seen it in a while, but chances are it's still there...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Because they are so quick to withdraw from visual range, and they are quite reactive, the only way to realistically remove them from a tank is to determine which rock the worm is in, then remove it from the system. Keep in mind that there is really no reason to remove most segmented worms from the tank, however, if you have determined for sure that the worm is an Eunicid worm, you WILL want to remove them if you have snails you want to continue to keep, as they are snail predators. They kill the snails by covering them with a suffocating mucus, then eat the meat out of the shell. These worms get quite large (Family Eunicidae), even in captivity. I had one that was more than 1.6M long in the lagoonal tank I had set up in Wellford (we only caught it by taking the whole tank down when I moved). See the good Doctor's page on these large worms: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

1 - 3 of 3 Posts