The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever made a DIY surge device for circulation or seen any simple to do plans anywhere. I am debating what i wanna do for circulation and thought a surge device would be cool.

Thanks,
Josh

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Lots of clutter in my opinion and unwanted splashing but maybe there is a better way than what I have seen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am stumped on what I want to do for circulation. I don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money right away. Thinking of getting a MAG 24 for my return and splitting it and using my MAG 9.5 as a closed loop for added circulation. Not sure how I am gonna do it though.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hey josh-surge devices are great ideas and work well in certain instances-i would encourage you to tinker with plans if you have the money and time-BUT caution you by saying not too many are actually in use (i'm sure the haters will have a good time with that statement) mostly because of noise and microbubble issues. also with surface skimmed tanks the cycling water level can be an issue. but they might be the best solution to reef water movement in the proper setup.

if you search for carlson devices-named for bruce carlson at the waikiki aquarium you should find some plans. some books including "the reef aquarium vol 1" book ? by delbeek and sprung may have plans too. i had tinkered around with a design including a toilet flush valve (activated by a buoy in the surge device which would raise with the water level-until finally it flushes) but could never come up with the right float. the toilet valve has the added benefit of being a safety overflow too if the flush never activates.

gl-and show off anything you come up with!
rich

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
ooohhh!-please don't use that large of a return pump. a 1" durso/drain can handle about 600gph but i tend not to push the limit. 3-5X the tank volume is an accepted and reasonable (certainly not the max-and probably not the norm either) amount of flow thru a sump. more than that and you face noise and microbubble issues...if you're gonna use a huge pump put it one the closed loop and pick an energy efficient model like a sequence dart. honestly after having a closed loop (without many trials or tribulations) i would rather trade it in on another tunze stream. in tank apparati like the streams may increase clutter but they are easy to change, maintain and they won't leak.

tg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
150 gallon with the plumbing on the side. There are 2 1" holes with durso standpipes. I am not going to drill the tank anymore either. Too much of a pain in the ***. If I do a closed loop it will be like the one on melevsreef.com except when I get enough I am gonna change oout my SCWD to a OM Super Squirt.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
read eric bornemen's "aquarium corals" i THINK on page 348 or something like that there are plans for one bornemen came up with

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i got to see a device that works great and has no noise, no micro bubbles and does a great job. its kind of spendy though. you need a tank of aproprae size. 1 solonid operated gate valve and 2 flaot switches. and a couple of relays. its not ahrd to wire it together. the tank can be just about anything. but i dont think your overflow can handle that amount of water surging through the tank. you need a huge over flow for that.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would guess you need a 55 gallon drum or something ~ that volume for that sized tank (just a guess).
I can't imagin doing a surge in any living space.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think "the Reef Aquarium 3" has a mod in the Carlson Surge design that reduces the bubbles. If you go this route, I'd be interested in hearing about your results. I'm putting together a 100 g sps frag tank and am planning on using a carson suge device (it's not going to be a display tank).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Doesn't Capman have a surge device on one of his tanks in the lab? Or am I just showing my general lack on knowledge again..

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yes, I have a Walter Adey-style Algal Turf Scrubber in the lab (for more info, see Adey's book "Dynamic Aquaria"). It has a dump bucket of sorts (more of a tray actually) that dumps about a gallon of water into the tank all at once every 30 or 40 seconds or so.

The main reason for the dump tray design in these things is to make the algal turf grow better (the algae are growing on a plastic screen in the tray, which is illuminated at night - the algae is scraped off and discarded once a week to export nutrients from the system). In fact, I think the idea is that the surge in the tray specifically promotes the growth of various types of turf algae, which supposedly are much more efficient at pulling nutrients out of the water than other sorts of algae - presumably these other types would tend to dominate without the surge.)

The surge in the tank is a very very nice secondary benefit to the design. So nice, in my opinion, that these units could be useful even if they were not removing nutrients from the tank.

These algal turf scrubbers are not being sold anymore, unfortunatly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was at the Virginia aquarium in Virginia Beach this weekend and saw a carlson in action. There was a huge rush of bubbles when it flushed, but made some very nice chaos when it dumped the water down. I couldn't see any valves or any real hardware, it was just pvc and a small cube tank. If the bubbles weren't a problem, or you could find a way to hide them it would be a very nice thing to have. You do need an overflow that is capable of handling the extra water, the water level would rise about 1/2" when it was flushing, but right before it flushed the waterlevel in the display tank would get to where it wasn't up to the teeth of the overflow, so it could handle it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts