The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys made a diy sump? I know there are a lot of sites out there that show you how to make the base, that is not my problem. I am more curious about the returns, pump size and what not. I am putting it under a 55 gal so it does not need to be very big. Also how do you make sure it does not over flow. Lots of questions I know, sorry.

Also does anyone know anyone getting rid of an 80 gallon tank or know of where to get one?

Thanks again.

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
k9flash said:
Have any of you guys made a diy sump? I know there are a lot of sites out there that show you how to make the base, that is not my problem. I am more curious about the returns, pump size and what not. I am putting it under a 55 gal so it does not need to be very big. Also how do you make sure it does not over flow. Lots of questions I know, sorry.

Also does anyone know anyone getting rid of an 80 gallon tank or know of where to get one?

Thanks again.
I made a sump from an old 10g tank I had laying around. I used it on my 55g and it worked great!

All I did was silicone 2 baffles in, 1 about an inch off the bottom 1" pvc worked well to hold it up until dry, and the other was all the way to the bottom and half the height of the tank(6 in I think). water went under the 1st baffle and over the last(very important if you don't want microbubbles getting to your return pump) The sump ran half full so I had 5 gallons to spare if I shut down the return pump. The main key for not overflowing the sump is to drill an anti syphon hole in your return plumbing. Drill the hole so that it sits about 1/4" below water level in the tank. When the water in the tank drains down to that hole, it will suck air(unless a snail blocks the hole) and cause the syphon to break.

oops! I forgot to mention that I had a pane of 1/4" glass handy too. You could probably use plexiglas as well.

For the return pump I used a mag7. The mag7 was just perfect but I also had a h.o.b. overflow that was rated for 800gph. Depending on your overflow, a mag7 might be too much.

HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, Talk about a quick response. Thanks for the help. Just didnt want to end up with a flooded room. So if I get a HOB overflow rated for 800 gph and a mag7 I should be fine eh. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I built my own sump... I bought the acrylic from home depot and I think by the end of the project it was the same price as buying one. Save yourself the time and money and just buy one. :D I will know better next time.

Kyle

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
or make it from a 10 dollar rubbermaid container from wallmart :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi my name is genaro i'm new here and i need some advise of how to make a sump tank out of a 20gl aquarium please if anyone out there have any plans on how to make one please let me know my email is [email protected] thank you...

·
Registered
452 Posts
See isnt it hard to get a sump going with a glass tank if not i have it all but the pvc pipe think on going with a ten gallon sump for my 45 gal

·
Bob Lablaw
892 Posts
I just finished mine, I used a 20g High, I tried to use a 10G but the overflow if the power was to go out was to much for the tank. So, I bought the 20 and designed it with plenty of room for the overflow. It works great, it holds about 12g of water with the return pump area hold 4g and the refuge with the rest.

Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts