The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a recently set up 55 gallon saltwater tank. I am planning on putting in a sump with a refugium. If you have had success with a sump you made please share.

Also, I would like to know what is a good overflow, and sump pump for a 55 gallon tank.

Thank you in advance,

Kenneth

· Registered
777 Posts
Plumb two 10 gallons together or figure out if you can get a 20 or 30 long under there.

I'm not sure if a refugium is necessary for a new tank. I'm not sure if it is necessary at all, but that is for a later topic.

First, keep it simple. Set up the tank and sump and let it run.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses, and yes only a 10 gallon will fit in the stand without modifications. I will be making modifications to the stand but i dont know how i am going to do it yet. I am thinking of having a 20 long as the sump.

· Registered
777 Posts
Make your own stand. Or just keep current setup because it wont be worth the extra ten gallons
I too, do not think a 10 gallon tank is worth it, but he/she mentioned they would make the modification for a 20 gallon to fit. A 20 long would be sufficient.

· Registered
1,009 Posts
I once contemplated the mods to a 45 gallon stand which has the same problems. Just doesn't seem worth it or plausible. You would have to make like a fake base, then take the center brace out just to even get it in... Too rigged for me, rather just make a stand before I trust or dealt with that ya know

· Registered
777 Posts
I modified my 75 to put a 40 breeder under it. To each there own, I guess. Slight mod is easier than building from scratch, n my opinion.

· Registered
777 Posts
I presume u r talking about the stand. Have any pics to tell us what we are working with?

Most can be adapted for a 20long without much effort.

· Registered
26 Posts
yes, pics would help. Also do you have access to any type of power tools? circular saw, saws-all, anything like that? and how well do you know how to use these tools? I Modified a neighbors 55 stand for a 20L and took me less than 20 minutes to do it. just a few cuts here and there. actually to longer to finish the case of beer he gave me in exchange for the work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.