The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a sump filter out of a 10 gallon tank. I have a hang-on-tank overflow box for it. I bought a pump at Petsmart and it just doesn't have enough power to lift the water from under the main tank. So, I have had to put the "sump" next to my main tank so that the height that the pump has to move the water is only about 2 feet. I am getting ready to move (which is another concern in itself:rolleyes: ) and I don't want to have my sump visable in the new location. I considered getting a ready made sump but with all the house stuff, I am not ready to upgrade completely yet. So, I would like to get a different pump for now so that I can put the sump under the tank where it belongs. So, my question is, what kind of GPH do I need to lift the water and have sufficient flow? I would need to lift the water about 4 feet. I have seen the different ratings on height of water lift on certain pumps, but I am not really sure how to know how much flow I need. I am also anticipating a question from someone on the rate of flow from my overflow box and I don't know that, unfortunately. I am guessing, however, the the flow will increase once I have gravity working for me and the water is going straight down. Right now, the water has to travel up from the overflow to get to the sump. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I so wish I knew how to determine the flow rate for my overflow!!! I know that is a big piece of the puzzle here. I will describe the overflow as best I can and maybe that can help. The part inside the tank is about 7 inches long, by 3 inches wide, by about 7 inches deep. There is a U shaped ciphon tube going from the inside to the outside box. The outside box has 2 chambers. The first chamber has the end of the U shaped tube and a baffle that keeps the water level above the end of the tube. The second chamber has the outlet which is about an inch in diameter with a cylindrical sponge protector on it. I know I probably described about every overflow box but I hope this helps!

·
11,345 Posts
afbengochea said:
isnt it 600 gph when its a 1 inch drain?
siphons can get much more than that becasue there is pressure.....i dont know the exact numbers of fthe top fo my head but i know i get around 1050 with flow to spare out of a dual 1" overflow merging into a 1" Y into a sump on one of my tanks.......

cats&fish said:
So, if it is 600 GPH, would I want a pump that is rated the same?
yeah, becasue you wont e getting quite that much after head loss, but another thing to keep in mind if you plan on running any canister filters or possilby a chiller you can get a bigger pump and T off of it and eliminate the need for other pumps to run those pieces of equip.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
it would be close but remember that you have to count on headloss. might want to step up to a higher gph pump since you will lose some power depending on the height that the water has to travel. check out this site and itll help you decide what pump you can use. .... of course its assuming you want a mag pump. Otherwise you would have to check the manufacturer specs http://www.marineandreef.com/Info/DannerPumpSpecs.html

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
A mag 5 should be perfect. put a ball valve on the outlet so you can control the flow.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I would actually go with a mag7, after it pushes the water up 4ft you may end up with 500gph. If you get a Mag5 you may end up with 300gph.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
heh, I think one of the initial posts suggested the mag 7... That and a rubbermaid box is all you'll really need. Look at wallyworld for one that is lond and has fairly stiff sides (remember, without some type of external frame, the sides may bow out when full of water when the power cuts out: you could make a wooden frame with legs for the lip to prevent this...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts