The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to build a skimmer for my 120 gal. i have a seaclone but it is not working to good any more. i want to go with a design that i found online. i know the basics on how it works but thats about it. we have a club meeting here in atlanta on tuesday which im getting a tank for my new sump/refuge so i will start it building the skimmer then. so any advice will help.

thanks matt.

here is the skimmer

file:///c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/imgres.htm

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have you looked at either of my skimmer designs? that is a good simple design. i do not like using toilet flanges though. they seem to leak. i suggest using a rubber quick cap instead. that outlet pipe is also to small. i would go one size larger than the inlet pipe.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you want the bubbles to enter the reaction chamber at least halfway up from the bottom. the closer it is to the bottom the greater the chance of the microbubbles escaping the skimmer and getting into your system. microbubbles are not a problem as far as health goes, they can just be unsightly.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the water output should always be as close to the bottom of the skimmer as possible. once again to limit the amount of microbubbles leaving the skimmer.

as for the size of the skimmer, it all depends on what size pump you are going to be using and what air delivery method. in most cases a 4" diameter skimmer that has a reaction chamber that is at least 24" tall should be plenty for a 120g tank.

my prefered air delivery method for easy skimmer is either a Mag 7 and a 1/2" kent venturi valve or a Mag 9.5/12 and a 3/4" venturi valve.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if it was the clear skimmer than it was made out of acrylic. easy stuff to work with once you get the correct adhesive and a little practice.

you can use a Mag 5 with a 1/2" venturi, but it would be a bit underpowered.

yes the venturi valve is what supplies the air to the skimmer.

mag series pumps can either be used internally or externally. very versatile pumps. the problem is that they are not the most energy efficient pumps out there.

G~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts