The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reef Cave
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

So i recently got done with my rock wall (DIY great stuff and fiberglass marine resin)...

The wall has been done about 2 weeks ago and is sitting in my garage... im concerned though.. because the fiberglass oder is still there..... but the rock wall.. is ROCK SOLID.... im just confused about the smell still being there...

should i rinse the wall off? or is the odor normal?

·
Premium Aquatics liaison
834 Posts
Some fiberglass mixes do have a lingering odor, and some may be generating VOCs throughout the duration of their curing. If you're already outside of the curing time as explained in the directions, try washing down the surface with white vinegar, rinsing it all off, and allow it to air dry. If there's still a little chemical odor, then wipe lightly over the whole surface with 90% Isopropyl alcohol and allow it to air dry. Both agents are safe to try, and minimally messy. The next one is further down the 'best option' list, as it's still safe, but VERY messy - You could try using a clean toothbrush and lightly applying some baking soda, just enough to work over the bonded surface. Then you'll need to rinse the heck out of it.
Worst case - you'll need to get a clear epoxy-coat to seal the fiberglass wall.

·
Reef Cave
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some fiberglass mixes do have a lingering odor, and some may be generating VOCs throughout the duration of their curing. If you're already outside of the curing time as explained in the directions, try washing down the surface with white vinegar, rinsing it all off, and allow it to air dry. If there's still a little chemical odor, then wipe lightly over the whole surface with 90% Isopropyl alcohol and allow it to air dry. Both agents are safe to try, and minimally messy. The next one is further down the 'best option' list, as it's still safe, but VERY messy - You could try using a clean toothbrush and lightly applying some baking soda, just enough to work over the bonded surface. Then you'll need to rinse the heck out of it.
Worst case - you'll need to get a clear epoxy-coat to seal the fiberglass wall.

yea... it is a fiberglass 2 part... resin and hardener...

others have used it with no problems.. its the bondo marine fiberglass resin and hardener.

I think im gonna give it a white vinegar batch and a good rinse.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Post a picture when your done, I always love looking at good DIY projects.

·
Reef Cave
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If ur garage is chilly it cures a lot slower I think. I would def wait until there's no smell, so make sure that it isn't just covered by the vinegar smell after you rinse it
Okay, that might be what it is then... My wife is gonna kill me if that smells fogs up the house! lol.. but i guess i could try putting it in the basement and hope the smell stays trapped down there...

it is a constant 68 degrees down there though....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts