The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is possible to make your own protein skimmer, or something along those lines. I can't seem to find plans nywhere, can anyone help. Also in my attempts to find plans for the skimmer, i've ound many plans for a kalk reacter thing and ca reacter, what are these?:confused:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i have plans for the skimmer i made here. there are several other plans out there. this is one of my favorite DIY resources for stuff.

i also have plans for a kalkwasser reactor.
a kalk reactor is a way to automatically add kalk to your system without having to mix it up seperately. it is a way to constantly add kalk to your system to keep the Ca and Alk up. these are relatively inexpensive to build and use.

a Ca reactor on the other hand have a lot of extra more expensive equipment needed. they are used to keep the Ca up. they can raise the Ca levels in a tank, while the kalk reactors can only maintain Ca levels. Ca reactors need a CO2 cannister and a regulator to supply the CO2 to the reaction chamber. the reaction chamber has basically the same design as the kalk reactor only another in let for the CO2.

G~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply, maybe if someone could tell me how a protein skimmer works, i don't understand the plans, i understand how to build it in a round a bout way but knowing how it worked would go along way/

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i do not know the exact physics involved, but i know how it works. disolved organic materials (DOM) are atracted to bubbles. these DOM's are what you want to remove. the smaller the bubbles the more DOM's that can be removed. also the longer the water is exposed to the bubbles the greater the number of different kinds of DOM's that can be removed. most people strive for at least 2 minutes dwuel time for the water in the skimmer. the two most common methods of producing bubbles is a venturi valve and the limewood airstone. both have thier advantages and disadvantages. i will let you read and figure those out.;)

as these DOM's attach to the bubbles the create a foam at the top of the PS. eventually the foam starts to come out the top of the PS. this is skimmate. yucky smelly stuff. a colection cup is used to store the skimmate until you decide to empty it. i actually have mine emptying in to my septic tank. so all i have to do is clean the collection cup once a month. the skimmate will build up on the inside of the skimmer and the collection cup, so cleaning is necessary.

inside the skimmer there needs to be an area of slow water movement, this is where the greatest amount of dwell time occurs.

hth, if you have any other questions let me know. this was a little quick and dirty but hopefully it will give you some insight.

G~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.