The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to fabricate a diy pendant to go over my 28 gallon (24"x18"x18") tank and have a couple of questions. The canopy will hold (2) 24" VHO bulbs, 250w single end bulb and a fan. Here are my questions:

- Material choice: Aluminum or stainless steel? Or could I get away with galvanized since it will be painted?
- Hardware: Aluminum rivets or SS bolts?
- If I don't get it powder coated is there any other paint you would recommend?

I am basically going to make a box (25" x 12" x 6" approx) that will be supported by two brackets that will be attached to the stand.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Glad to see my new tank is comming along...;)
powder coat a coolguy.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I would have no problem with constructing a DIY fixture. However, I would still go with a good commercial reflector to go inside it. I really don't see a good DIY solution to parabolic reflectors and would really want to maximize the light output of any MH.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually thinking about running a 'cool guy' over the tank if this pendant seems to be more monkey business then anything.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David Grigor - I should have mentioned that I would be using a reflector for the halide.

Does anyone have their cool guy reflectors exposed over their tanks? How do they look?

·
Banned
149 Posts
tito said:
David Grigor - I should have mentioned that I would be using a reflector for the halide.

Does anyone have their cool guy reflectors exposed over their tanks? How do they look?

Jerry does... It really matches the rest of the decor in his fish room... He's going for that totally "industrial" look... :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
I still have the reefOptix3 with the 14K Phoenix...;)
(who needs VHO)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts