The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking into some better fixtures and also just retro kits. This is what I have decided to do.

I am going to build my own light canopy and suspend it from the ceiling over the tank. I will move my current pc light to the new hood, one on each of the 250 watt hqi or mogul light fixture.

Now to the questions.
Is one light better than the other?
How high off the tank should this be?
Does it have to have a glass shield and if so what would be best? I have a 60mm fan, if I don't use a sheild do I still add the fan?
Should the canopy be the size of the tank or slightly larger?

Any input good or bad would be great.
Thanks

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I might have run into a hitch. The add has a link to ballast. Does this mean this light setup with power cord and bulb socket still has to be hooked to the ballast? Told you I was a newbie. Where does the ballast connect? If this is the case that brings the total out of pocket to over $200. Maybe I should check and see if I can find a used mh light kit?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you have a link to what you are thinking about getting?

MH's need a ballast. these ballasts are very heavy and should not be put in the canopy itself. a wire is run from the ballast to each bulb. the ballast can be placed just about anywhere. i have mine in the basement.

G~

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width=600 align=center border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><FORM action=shopaddtocart.asp method=post><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>Sunlight Supply Reef Optix II

No reviews​
</TD><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#ffffff>Dimensions : 13” Long x 9.5” Wide x 4.5” High
15ft detachable lamp cord with male plug
Made of 95% reflective aluminum
Stainless steel socket assembly
Leviton brand 5kv position oriented mogul socket
No wiring required
Chrome wire hangers
Note : Does not accept glass
(Click Here for Sunlight Supply Power Supply Options)
Write Review Read Reviews</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT maxLength=4 size=3 value=1 name=quantity></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>$59.95
Retail Price $66.95</TD></TR></FORM></TBODY></TABLE>This is the mogul. I saved the link but it never goes back to this just the home page and have to search again. Havn't found the HQI I saw.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was hoping for something more simple, thought this just needed to be plugged in. The ballast for it looks kinda big in the pic. Know of something with a slimmer design or is that ballast just look bigger than it is?
Also read in another forum that the hqi have to have uv shields or could burn the corals, not sure I'm ready to deal with that. I just want a simple mh kit to go between two pc. It's a 24 gallon Aquapod 19" from top to bottom. Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts