The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, so here is my question. I want to improve the lighting in my tank. I want a metal halide. Right now I have a JBJ 24" PC fixture its wider than most 24" fixtures, such as the dual satellite, by about 2 inches. It also has triple cooling fans. So I was wondering if anyone thought if it would be a good idea to take one of the bulbs out and see if I could squeeze a metal halide light in there. I think if would definately fit. Of course I would have to get the ballast and I'm thinking the triple cooling fans are more than enough to keep it cool. If it does sound like a good idea then should I change the 10,000K bulb for a 10,000K halide OR should I change the actinic bulb for a 20,000K halide. Please help on this!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
The wire in the existing fixture may not be rated to handle all the heat from a MH bulb.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am thinking of doing something like this in my 30" pc fixture. I didnt think of the wiring of the other lamps though, maybe there is a heavy duty electrical tape? I would like to find the smallest MH bulbas far as wattage, have an extra 128 watt workhorse 5 ballast. My current fixture is for two PC, just a 50/50 for now, 65 watts. Would you want to run the MH all day or just as a sort of supplement(if this makes sense, not sure about lighting)? How about an actinic, a 50/50, and MH for midday effect? wonder if that would work

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Raccio said:
so do you think it's worth a shot or no? I guess I can make a new fixture instead.
basically you would only be using the housing. the wiring would have to be replaced.
i would check around on prices for either a new MH system or a DIY retro kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts