The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to retro-fit my current PC light with LEDs. I have a standard 10gal tank.

The kit I'm looking to use is this one:http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-60/12-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

and this heat sink: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-131/Drilled-and-Tapped-4.25%22/Detail

Before I begin this adventure:
- Are 12 Cree Leds enough to provide adequate lighting for keeping softies and possibly lps? (I see the site also has a 2 led moon-kit I'll add too)
- Would it even be possible to gut my current light (attached) and squeeze this new stuff in? It's a 24" Current USA Sattellite.
- Would the lenses be needed? I'm not too well versed on lighting, but my concern is sending too much light to the bottom of the tank and making livetock that would prefer a little less light uncomfortable.

Attachments

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
12 XR-E or XP-G or really any of the bulbs offered on rapidled.com will be too much for your 10g. If you want 12, then get the dimming set but read up on how to wire it up. There is a lot of problems you can encounter if you don't. I would guess 12 bulbs will work when you have 6 XR-E running at 50% and 6 XP-G at 35%. These bulbs are powerful and softies do not need much light. LSP are usually a medium amount and the % I states should work out fine. Congrats on running a 20watt light fixture for your tank :D.

P.S. start with low light and slowly move up.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 XR-E or XP-G or really any of the bulbs offered on rapidled.com will be too much for your 10g. If you want 12, then get the dimming set but read up on how to wire it up. There is a lot of problems you can encounter if you don't. I would guess 12 bulbs will work when you have 6 XR-E running at 50% and 6 XP-G at 35%. These bulbs are powerful and softies do not need much light. LSP are usually a medium amount and the % I states should work out fine. Congrats on running a 20watt light fixture for your tank :D.

P.S. start with low light and slowly move up.
hmmm, looks like I need to read up a little more. If 12 is way too much, then how many should I scale back to? 6-8?

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Well since the drivers do 6 at a time, I would get 12 and just dim them. Sadly, if you get 6, you will not be able to have XR-E AND XP-G. This would mean the tank would be super white or super blue. The 12 bulb dimming fixture with heat sink and fan shouldn't cost you more than $150 anyways (I think).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Im about to do the same thing for my wifes nano 10g. 18 of the cree 3w. Just dimmable. Then theres no worries. But im goin all out. Three diff drivers. three diff colors. all dimmable for custom colors. Its easy, but expensive to do that many drivers. and the dimming box controller im building is a lil hardcore. it has the abillity to dimm all colors and all at once. and be able to switch them to use the RKL to dim them. Just make sure you get the dimmable driver. if you ise them at full blast. you will deff bleach anything and everything.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im about to do the same thing for my wifes nano 10g. 18 of the cree 3w. Just dimmable. Then theres no worries. But im goin all out. Three diff drivers. three diff colors. all dimmable for custom colors. Its easy, but expensive to do that many drivers. and the dimming box controller im building is a lil hardcore. it has the abillity to dimm all colors and all at once. and be able to switch them to use the RKL to dim them. Just make sure you get the dimmable driver. if you ise them at full blast. you will deff bleach anything and everything.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely go the dimmable route then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.