The Reef Tank banner
6K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Jflip2002 
#1 ·
Ok, so my superskimmer makes WAY too many bubbles, its ridiculous. So I was going to buy a 12" HOB Refugium where the skimmed water can go to, then trickle into the fish tank. The only ones I saw even close to nice enough are the CPR ones, which end on ebay for about $70 dlvd. Then there are some cheap ones that are 12", and theyre $35 dlvd. But they dont have nice baffles, and have an inlet, which I Dont need, etc.

So Im wondering how hard this will be to make a HOB Refugium set up? Im not too worried about it being supported from the bottom, because I can make it 24" tall, and have the bottom supported by the tank stand. I

d be worried about making it square, for one. Getting this material to bond securely, so I dont have to worry about my tank emptying. And lastly, finding a way of having it hang onto the tank, so it doesnt fall backwards. Though if I get a tank stand deep enough, I can just make it about 15"Lx10"D"26"H so it stands up alittle above the top of the tank. Then I would need to get it drilled so I can have the outlet go into the edge of the tank.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Actually, I just thought about this... It may be tacky to some. But I wonder if I set up a mini sump behind the tank. I dont want extra pumps, and I think this would eliminate that. I can drill towards the top of my tank, which would in essence serve as the overflow (Which I would still have, but Id making it only as tall as it needs to be, rather than the entire heighth of the tank.

Then I can have this glass sump deel thats 24" long (the length of the tank) by about 28" tall, which would be 4" higher than my tank, just enough for the outlet to be, by about 10" deep back. I think I could fit my skimmer behind in this set up.

I really need as little electric in my system, due to heat issues. I wonder if this is practical or not though.

#3 ·
working with acrylic is easy. the hardest part about working with acrylic is getting the adhesive. pretty much only certain Weld-On adhesives work on acrylic. most people use either Weld-On 16 or Weld-On 3.

cutting acrylic is easy as long as you leave the protective film on it and keep the blade from getting to hot. table/circular saws are the best for this.

1/4" acrylic should be fine for the dimensions you are looking to build.

G~

#5 ·
I think that looks about right, I plan to add the chaeto or some sort of controlled algae to Im imagining the first corridor in the overflow/hob fuge/hob sump. I dont think there will be any sand in there at all, but thas also a possibility.

#6 ·
before i put in a sump for my coralife skimmer i was thinking about modifieng a specimen container as a bubble trap. have the skimmer dump into one side, then put in a couple baffles and cut down the opposite side for the water to dump out. never got around to trying it, but i think it would be alot better than the sponge thing they give u. can pick up a specimen container for around 8bucks, and the small amount of acrylic needed wouldnt be too costly either. could cut inlets out of another one as a surface skimmer too, as long as u got one big enough for your pump to fit in

#7 ·
I was going to have my skimmer work as the inlet. That pump would be in my overflow, while this HOB thing is behind the tank, with the skimmed water going into. Im not worried about the cost of making this, just the actual making of it lol.

#8 ·
I woke up thinking about this idea, I think its gonna work lol. I wonder if a person who custom makes fish tanks can make this fuge/sump deal. ITs not really hanging on the back, just against the back.

#9 ·
I was looking into making something like this myself and was looking at this
http://www.amazon.com/Richell-94427-Pet-Food-Keeper/dp/B000G0P4I2
It is higher than my tank so I was going to attach a 90^ elbow for the output back into the tank via gravity. I like the dimensions on this because it is higher than the tank and will fit in the space behind my tank and just fit before hitting the wall. Only thing I do not like is that is so deep but was going to fill in the depth some with sand with the baffles going into the sand just a few inches. I was in walmart and they had this version and one that was the same dimensions except about half the height( and only $5.47). While I was there also picked up an acrylic "reptile ranch" (on clearance for $2.50)that is 14"Lx8"wx5" that my pump will fit into to use as an overflow since it has air slits in it that will skim the surface to allow water in. This has a lip on it that sits perfectly on the lip of my tank for support on two sides so mounting it into the tank was a breeze.

#10 ·
I dont think that foodkeeper deal would look too great. Im looking for something that looks cleaner. I was at HD today and saw a tote type deal that was I believe 28" tall, but it was grey. All the other dimensions looked ideal as well..... But it was grey.

I need someone to make me this thing out of clear acrylic.

#11 ·
But thanks for the idea. Im such an idiot, I didnt even think about the outlet just being the 90 degree angle. That would save me a lot of hassle in trying to drop the right side down with that little slope, trickling, and causing air bubbles. The elbow has the water insert in the water, making virtually no airbubbles. Great, and thanks for that. I cant believe I overlooked that plain detail. Im sitting right next to my CPR HOB skimmer with the same 90 degree angle even lol.

#12 ·
Yeah I am with you on the clear acrylic part, that is what I am looking for also ideally but since it behind the tank with a background then hidden by the hood in my case it's ok I guess. My tank is in the corner so the only way I can view it would be from a step stool.

I was looking on ebay and the seller that sells the HOB in different sizes said to email them with custom dimensions and they would make it and put it up for BIN.

#17 ·
Whys that, experiences? Or is that your ID lol. You seem good with making crap, make me this 12g fuge =\
Acrylicman on ebay is one to stay away from for anything custom made.

Id make it for ya but i hate fuges. :rotflmao:

#18 ·
I dont really plan on using it as a fuge. More of a large elaborate bubble diffuser, possibly with some chaeto in there. It'll move the total volume of the tank up a little as well. I figure with the right tools, which I dont have, it wouldnt be too hard. I have a couple screw drivers, and a dremel though lol.

#19 ·
I understand if its ove ryour head flyguy. Anyone can build acrylic lift rods, but not a fuge ;)

I even have made new drawings with measurements lol.

#20 · (Edited)
I understand if its ove ryour head flyguy. Anyone can build acrylic lift rods, but not a fuge ;)
Over my head no......ive made more than a few sumps from scratch and they are good IMO, better than any i have ever bought. I dont make them(or fuges) for sale because what i can sell them for in comparison to how long it takes me to make them + material cost isnt worth my while.

I was jesting when i said i wouldnt make you one because i dont like them, and simpl;y warning you in case it WAS the infamous Acrylicman from ebay who was being referred to.........your personal stab here was a little ignorant and rude though

I never have claimed my rocklifts are all that hard to make, heck, ive posted the simplicity of them many times over including a step by step. I also am willing to make them for people who like the concept and dont have the tools or ability to do so. Ive got the spare time on my hands when Im home with the kid, and it pays for a few corals ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.