The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i have a coral beauty that is destroying my coral eating away like crazy im trying to get the fish out but after hours of chasing with net and trying to ambush everytime i come near the tank it hides in a cave that i created when i started the tank but on top of the cave is about 75 to 100lbs of rock so i cant rearrange everything. i need some help if anyone has any experience catching fish please help.

forgot to mention 75g tank and the coral beauty is about 1.5 inches

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I had a damsel I had to get out...and with some patien ce I got it out. i used a very clear plastic container and a net. I put the container (the opening towards the back rocks) on the left side of my tank towards the rocks. Then I used my net to sort of corral the angel and scare it. so that it darts towards the plastic container. It does not see it (hopefully) and will just keep swimming to go around ..but wa la it gets caught in an "invisible" barrier. Worked wonders..used it more than once with great success. Just be patient. The plastic needs to be very clear though and a big enough opening that the fish will swim in it and not miss. good luck!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a damsel I had to get out...and with some patien ce I got it out. i used a very clear plastic container and a net. I put the container (the opening towards the back rocks) on the left side of my tank towards the rocks. Then I used my net to sort of corral the angel and scare it. so that it darts towards the plastic container. It does not see it (hopefully) and will just keep swimming to go around ..but wa la it gets caught in an "invisible" barrier. Worked wonders..used it more than once with great success. Just be patient. The plastic needs to be very clear though and a big enough opening that the fish will swim in it and not miss. good luck!
im gonna try this but i have my doubts bcs now that i have chased it so much she wont come out when im around she just sits at the opening of the cave and stares at me like" when are u going to move" and sure enough i move away from the tank and she comes out. goes to show how smart fish are. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm new here, so maybe not the best to be giving advice, but here it goes....

Simple really. I had a bunch of damsels I needed to get out and same deal, didn't want to remove all the rock and didn't want to buy a fish trap. So what I did was feed the fish every afternoon in a net. I'd put a block of frozen shrimp that I knew they'd go for in the net, and then waited for them to swim in. Didn't take long. I held the net in place for 15 min and during that time probably every fish in the tank swam in at least once. Takes a steady hand and some patience but it worked great for me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I do the same thing. I feed from the net and after a few days or weeks, they will swim right in. To protect your coral in the meantime, you could cut a coke bottle to the right size to cover them up. Use the top part so the water can get through the opening. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm new here, so maybe not the best to be giving advice, but here it goes....

Simple really. I had a bunch of damsels I needed to get out and same deal, didn't want to remove all the rock and didn't want to buy a fish trap. So what I did was feed the fish every afternoon in a net. I'd put a block of frozen shrimp that I knew they'd go for in the net, and then waited for them to swim in. Didn't take long. I held the net in place for 15 min and during that time probably every fish in the tank swam in at least once. Takes a steady hand and some patience but it worked great for me.
Great idea as well! I am sure the fish start associating the net with food:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have always fed from a net its a good idea for the same reason that when u want to get fish out they are not scared of the net. but for the past few days the coral beauty wont come out of the cave when im around the tank doesnt matter if food is around she waits till im gone then starts eating. and if i stay ling enough she wont eat, thats why im looking for some kind of fish trap.
i want to thank everyone for the fast response it really helps

·
Registered
175 Posts
i never really thought about feeding the fish out of a net..its an awesome idea..if only i had read it earlier i wouldn't had to remove tonnes of rock in my 280g to catch my fish when i needed them removed..kinda like the dog with the bell experiment..to get them to associate the net with food..wonder if it works for a second time..once bitten twice shy? ;) wonder if anybody has a better DIY fish trap that would work in scubadon's case..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the support people i have found two ideas of fish trap i will be trying both to see which one works best since i will use it again someday.
i will post everything on youtube when i have everything i might even record catching the little sucker.

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
I suggest using coral for bait, if that's what the fish wants. I had the hardest time trapping a tomato clown, until I got smart enough to partition off its anenome leaving the slightest gap to get in. Over night, the clown found that little gap, and then it was stuck where I could net it easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts