The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to use an inline power head near the top of the aquarium. Hook some small tubing to it or drop the size of the tubing down w/in 4 feet before it reaches the cooler under the stand. In the cooler i will have the tubing looped around and around and around but have a cavity in the middle (where i will put a cooling medium AKA ICE). So the PH will have to be big enough to push water into this hose and down and then back up again-CORRECT? But that seems difficult as I will want the water to move slow enough to be in the cooler for a bit so it will COOL.

I will need to insulate the up hose to prevent and heating (I think).

Your input on if this will work or how to fix it is appreciated.

On another note-my house is kept at 68, we are in the midwest and have some hot summers. While I will eventually turn the air on I would really like to turn it on because I can't stand the heat-not because my tank needs cooled. Right now the house is 80-so's the tank. I am guessing the ice won't work for long and is time and labor intensive but I'm hoping i can get it to work just for the before and after so i don't have to run my air all summer. I'm already using fans, and aiming my PH to displace the top water, door's and lid's open and ceiling fan on high.

THX again for input.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It's not worth the effort. Research how many BTUs ice contains then how many BTUs it takes to lower just one gallon of water one degree. The energy to freeze the ice or money you spend on it will eat you up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is the temp of your water in the first place? Do you have a sump? Canopy?
Temp of water is normally 78. Temp of house is normally 68 with the heater in winter then nothing in summer. Xcept the PHeds, lids and doors.

I DO have a canopy. That is where the open doors come in.

I guess I could try removing the lids all together and see if that helps....I know that will up evaporation to it will a few degrees. I could also limit my lights and that will help a lot. But that STILL won't help with all of that going when it's 87 in the house.

I don't have room for a fridge. I have room for one other 5 gal bucket and thats it.

I've looked around and found something called a heat sink-anybody try that? Another term or title is Peltier Chiller...looks promising. Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfkBqbEnZ4

And NO I do not have a sump.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
get a duel temp controller and hook a clip on fan to it, added benefit in the winter is it controls your heaters, if it gets stuck on, the controller will shut it off and turn on the fan, Around $100

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
The fan would work for a few degrees but the op is talking about the room temp getting up to 87ish range.

Its a toughie. My old place it was pretty hot in the summer, i think my tank temp averaged 84 in the summer, if you can keep it at or below that i think you will be fine, it is only for a short period of time until you turn the ac on..

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
A properly placed fan is easily capable of 3-5 degrees a 7 or more is not at all unusual. Fans would serve you well, I would bet money on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts