The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a DIY cable organizer that I created for my latest tank. Its my creation after years of trying to master wire organization under my tanks. I know many people out there struggle with wires the way I did.

Materials:
1/4" Polyethylene Tubing
Standard 2x4
Drywall screws

I made it with a table saw and a screwdriver. I cut the wire grooves 1/4" wide, 1 1/4" apart and 3/4" deep all the way down the board. I then cut two 1/8" grooves lengthwise 3/4" from the top and bottom. The Polyethylene tubing was screwed down onto each lengthwise groove. The tubing was then cut at 45 degree angles next to each screw. The 1/8" groove acts as a detent for the tubing. And the 45 degree angle is a secondary stop. The tubing is sturdy enough to hold any wire I put in there. No more zip-ties, cable ties, hooks, velcro, stick on tabs, etc etc etc...

Thanks

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What setting do you use on your wave maker ?

If you check NOAA for the average wave period of ocean waves it turns out to be somewhere around 10 seconds.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Atl_tab.shtml
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Pac_tab.shtml

So I think the fastest back and forth movement you'll get is 5 seconds each way in the ocean. I won't set it that high. I use 15 seconds each way for now, maybe 10 seconds in the future. This is my 75 gallon tank and it's still cycling, so I have time to decide. I just don't see setting the wavemaker to anything over 30 seconds. I try to simulate nature as best as possible. If I had delicate, slow moving fish I would simply aim the Koralia's at the wall instead of turning the period down.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just curious I have a wave maker, could c not obvious effect good or bad. Took it out. I did have one PH go bad on me that was attached to it so that had something to do with removal-what have you notice to be beneficial about it?

It was in my 75g

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious I have a wave maker, could c not obvious effect good or bad. Took it out. I did have one PH go bad on me that was attached to it so that had something to do with removal-what have you notice to be beneficial about it?

It was in my 75g
It just help keep detritus stirred up so it can get filtered out. And gives the fish some action.. It can help your PH is the water agitates the surface. That's about it..

·
Registered
980 Posts
Very cool idea.
You ever consider using a DJ power strip instead of a standard house strip? They don't cost much more and allow you to On/Off each plug individually. I considered buying one a while back so I could shut off my pumps without turning off the lights, just so I could feed my mandarin. I ended up just putting 2 strips in and I have the lights and heater on one and my pumps on the other. This way I just hit the master switch on the 2nd one and the water becomes peaceful.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool idea.
You ever consider using a DJ power strip instead of a standard house strip? They don't cost much more and allow you to On/Off each plug individually. I considered buying one a while back so I could shut off my pumps without turning off the lights, just so I could feed my mandarin. I ended up just putting 2 strips in and I have the lights and heater on one and my pumps on the other. This way I just hit the master switch on the 2nd one and the water becomes peaceful.
I have four power strips right now.. 1 powered by a UPS power source in case of a power ouage it keeps the pumps on.. And three others. On is a timer for the lights and anything else I want. And two more, one for everything on the right of my tank and one for everything on the left..

I will be getting either a few Wifi power strips so I can turn stuff off over the internet, or using a Rasperry Pi computer and making my own power strips that I can program and control everything like a neptune module.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Also, for anyone out there. I have two of these cable organizers for sale. They are made out of Douglas Fir and are treated with a polyacrylic sealer. They have all brass fittings and are very well made..

I will be installing one of these in the next few days.
Brasse, if it is ok with you, i will throw a pic up here on your thread when i post it on mine.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be installing one of these in the next few days.
Brasse, if it is ok with you, i will throw a pic up here on your thread when i post it on mine.
By all means.. We shalt introduce proper cord organization to the world!

I still have yet to make more for myself...:mad:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
A couple pics of his work in action...

Panel for the 4 Hydra Power Supplies and coming straight from the mind and wood widling sweatshop that Brassaxe runs where he constructs these Cord Organizers.

Installed

Completed

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang that's better looking than under my tank.

So, did they work for you? Are they improvements I can make? You won't hurt my feelings since I replaced my heart with a cyborg heart the day before Y2K. I wanted to blend in with the machine overlords...

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Only 2 things and they may not be needed by many users...
Deeper cord cutouts, i had some good size power cords and i got some of them to double up, and maybe a little stiffer tubing to hold in those larger cords.....other than that...perfect.
As you can see...it works fine...So i thank you much sir.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only 2 things and they may not be needed by many users...
Deeper cord cutouts, i had some good size power cords and i got some of them to double up, and maybe a little stiffer tubing to hold in those larger cords.....other than that...perfect.
As you can see...it works fine...So i thank you much sir.
The larger cords can be a fickle beast.. Making the slots too deep and the small cords can easily fall through. So I made the slots just deep enough to fit two of the larges cords stack on top of one another.. The problem is bigger cords when bent create alot of spring pressure near the bend and don't behave very well.. I just wrap larger cords around two slots and it usually solves the problem. But I could easily use large tubing to get a better hold on them..

Improvements Improvements...

Ahh, the first customer feedback. And you didn't even have to talk to a computer over the phone..

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The larger cords can be a fickle beast.. Making the slots too deep and the small cords can easily fall through. So I made the slots just deep enough to fit two of the larges cords stack on top of one another.. The problem is bigger cords when bent create alot of spring pressure near the bend and don't behave very well.. I just wrap larger cords around two slots and it usually solves the problem. But I could easily use large tubing to get a better hold on them..

Improvements Improvements...

Ahh, the first customer feedback. And you didn't even have to talk to a computer over the phone..
Aha.....rapping around the channels....thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts