The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I will hopefully be moving soon for a new job and as such I am going to have to down size from my current 75 gallon set up. I have already bought the 40 gallon breeder tank which I have always wanted. I got it as part of petco's $1/gallon sale. Awesome, 40 gallon B for 40 dollars. I'm so excited. I am out of town right now for a meeting but I can't wait to get the tank home and start moving my stuff to the new tank and start building a stand. I plan to build a sturdy stand first out of 2x4's then build out from there. The idea is to build a stand/canopy that covers the top and two sides of the tank to cover all powerheads etc. then build shelves for each side to give the illusion of an in wall setup, but it will be portable so I can take it with me for future moves. Just let me know what you guys think of the idea and if you have any recommendations on how to accomplish it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got done switching everything over to the 40 gallon and I think it looks much better. Now the tank is full of rock where it wasn't before and yet the dimensions of the 40 B allow for some awesome rockscaping. I also changed the substrate since it was too fine before and I couldn't get any good flow without stirring things up.

75 Gallon. Awesome setup (for sale by the way) $600

40 Breeder (setup in an entertainment center for now).

I used some new water but mostly the water from the 75. The cloudiness still hasn't settled from putting in the substrate though I did rinse it first.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got done with the frame for my stand. Here's some pics:

I got my inspiration from Tiger Reefer/Ticklem http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...156900.html?highlight=40+gallon+breeder+stand who got the idea from
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119039

and a pic of the tank with an actinic strip on. Its an old light setup and I plan to dissassemble it and mount the parts inside a canopy eventually. One of the lights is blown so I have it off center to spread the light evenly for now.

Tomorrow I'll work on sealing the frame and possibly skining it as well. For those of you curious, it measures 35&1/2" tall

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts