The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, first post.

Hey everybody, great site. tons of great info.

I am in the process of building my first reef tank. I have successfully drilled my 29 gallon and about to start the overflow box. I am building it out of 1/4 acrylic (black). I have ordered weld-on #16 and a sheet of acrylic. I am looking for advice on working with acrylic, this is a first for me. I plan on cutting the acrylic with a table saw and cutting the overflow slots with a router or roto-zip. I have lots of experience with woodworking and in general a pretty good handyman(at least I like to think). Does this sound right? Any suggestions or tips from those with experience working with acrylic?

If everything goes as planned I might build a sump out of acrylic too. It seems that custom building a sump will help maximize the use of space in my stand.

I think I am on the right track, just looking for some reassurance/advise.

Thanks

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
My suggestion, ditch the slots. In the end you will be happier you did as they reduce the flow capability of the box dramatically without causing a rise in tank level to overcome them. The flat surface at the top of the box also makes for a more even skimming of the surface. You will want to use a router with a flush trim bit to finish off the corners and joints though...HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lose the slots, really?
That would make the build a lot easier. I've was thinking about building a jig to make the slots as anal retentively perfect as possible (cant help it). I am sure I could just free hand them but I am sure it would bug me every time I looked at the 1/16" difference in them.
My thinking was that with small slots 1/8" around the 3 side of the box and a removable lid to the box I could ensure that nothing bigger than a copepod would venture down into the sump. I was planing for a 11"x4" box about 5" deep.
I'm realizing now that I probably chose overflow bulkheads that are too large (two 1.5" drains) and so far only two 1/2" returns. Thinking about adding a spay bar a inch or so above the substrate (would be two 1/2" bulkheads with 1/2" PCV spay bar between) and behind the rock scape. Thinking that this set up might be a little loud, the wife is gonna hate that.
Still in the building/planning process and learning from my mistakes as I go. I was thinking of a return pump around 700GPH for this 29 gallon. Are my overflow bulkheads way too big(loud)? The return pump would be partially diverted back into the sump to recirculate the sump/fuge.
Any ideas of advise would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts