The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was just wondering how exactly would i make a 20 gal tall fuge? i found a fairly good diagram of what i would need to get, but it doesn't exactly explain what i need to do or where to get this stuff.
link: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=198631
my main questions were where would i get the pieces of plexi or whatever goes in between and i saw on the link that you shouldn't have all of the water go through the "fuge" part of it. but i'm not quite sure what they mean. i want to set one up for my new tank that i got from a friend. i had the 20 tall but i transfered everything into a 36? or 38? bow front. not sure on the size because he had it sitting in his garage a long time and hadn't been using it. but yeah, i wanted to set up the sump so the water conditons would be more stable and so i would have a place to run my protein skimmer. any information would help! thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
I find the tall too tall and like the long instead. You can get the plexiglass at Lowes, they even cut it for you. The fuge part of the sump should be an area of lower flow. For my sump, I have a 20 gallon long at it is a simple design. The drain and the skimmer are in the same chamber, then there is a bubble trap and the fuge area then a small area for the return pump and a reactor. How much flow is in your fuge depends on what you want to do with it. for me I just just keep rock and cheato in it, no sand, so I have higher flow than someone would who keeps sand and livestock in it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the thing is that i already have the 20 gallon tall tank because i had it set-up as my first tank before i upped. i might just have it be sump only with no fuge. but i still have to decide on that. also, just a side question but what are the little white starfish that come in on live rock a lot called? not the brittle stars but the little fatter ones?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, that's it. i remember seeing like two of them on my live rock when i first got it, then i hadn't seen them since just today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts