The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys...

I have a 20" tall tank.

I have 2x250 watt HQI Metal Halide bulbs....both 10K.

2x110 VHO's - actinic.

I'm trying to figure out HOW far above the water surface should the fixture be?

More specifically...what should the distance be from the water surface to the BULB!!

I think I've been keeping my lights too high. Right now, I have the bottom of the fixture (the glass) about 8" off the surface. But it's another 5" or 6" from the glass in the fixture to the actual BULB. Which would put my light source over a foot from the surface of the tank.

again...what's the proper distance for a 250 watt HQI bulb from the actual bulb to the surface of the water.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That sounds about right skeety. Only recalling in general recolection though, not sure on specifics for a DE. But that's what I keep my SE 175 at well, technically 11" but Id think since it's a DE, if anything it should be slightly higher than your typical SE brand as there suppose to be more intense. I know to utilize the VHO efficiently they need to be close to the water, within 6 inches or so from the waters surface.

And becuase there halides you dont want em too close, heaven forbid they get a splash and explode over your tank:agree:

-Justin

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay...two opposite answers! hahaha

don't have to worry about the splashing...as I have a glass cover on the tank (to protect UV mainly..but splashing also).

so one vote for about right as it is (~11") and another vote for 6-8 from the bulb (which would put my fixture darned near right on the frame of the tank.

I really like this fixture...but I DO think they sunk the bulbs too deep into it.

·
11,345 Posts
I did a poll on this a few months ago..........

FWIW what i gathered out of it is that most of the people who know what they are doing had them 5-8"...mine were 12 at the time.....they are now 5 on my sps system and 8 on my lps system......
Im not a lighting guy...i do what im told.......:agree:

My growth in my sps tank doubled or tripled though i must say.......

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you much!

that's gonna put the bottom (glass) of the fixture about 2-3" inches from my water....

But I'll slowly start lowering it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
In an effort to not answer your question, but to give you ideas.
Just get a T5 fixture and put it directly on top of the tank.

Did that answer your question? :)

Sorry not sure what the correct distance should be

1 - 12 of 12 Posts