The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a frag of xenia from my LFS. It did great for two weeks. Yesterday I noticed a lesion on one of the four stocks. This morning, two of the stocks had them, and one was ripping apart at the now gaping hole. Now, in just a period of 24 hours, they went from looking great to almost completely disintigrated. Is that just the way Xenia is (finicky), or could something be eating them. My water conditions test just fine, and iodine levels are fine too.

This is the same exact thing that happened when I tried anthelia in my tank (I think that coral is closely related to xenia).

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Xenia are great to have - another way to tell of water quality. Grow like weeds, too. When the water gets fouled (ie: rock/flower anoemoe is injured, our tank) the water gets "polluted" and they are the first to be affected.

How old is your tank? And what are your params after you tested?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is at the proper levels. Calc and Alk about 450ish, Nitrate undetectable. The tank is about a year old, and seems to be decently established. It just drives me crazy to see Xenia flourish in some tanks and I can't even keep it alive in mine. My friend doesn't do anything he is suppose to with his reef tank, and yet his xenia, like you said, grows like weeds. Frustrating...

·
Registered
130 Posts
HOw much light and how much water currant? What kind of tank is it? What was the iodine level? What fish do you have?

My hawkfish eats my xenia *shrug* I have soo much of it, he can eat as much as he wants....

Also what type of xenia was/is it? Some seems alot harder than others.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If your levels are good and everything else is good I wouldnt worry about the light or the flow. I have Xenia growing in very shaded parts of my tank. It blooms like crazy and every once in a while Melts down to nothing. Then a few weeks later it all grows back in the same place just as strong. At my LFS it does this too. I attribute it to going "Sexual" or sexually spawning. I havent seen it but like your tank, my parameters are great, everything does great including the xenia but every once in a while it melts.

The higher the ALK the faster they pump is the only solid info I have on Xenia (at least in my tank).

·
Registered
623 Posts
My guess would be that something is eating it. I have had two xenia species for a long time. Even when water perameters get a little bit 'funky' they still do well. Better flow = faster growth. I have tested this...four heads on the same rock, two in little flow and two almost directly in the path of power head. The two in the most current almost grow 2x as fast as the others. It CAN grow in low light conditions but not as prolifically. I have another two stalks that have started themselves in shaded areas of my tank...both in good flow however, and they are growing, but not nearly as fast as those in better light. Another interesting observation, I do a 30% water change in my 16 gal nano once a week, the day after the change they look huge...but my truck seems to drive better after I wash it... :)Anyhoo, with an opening 'hole' sounds like it is dinner for something in your tank. Xenia that is not faring well starts to droop and look 'blobish'.

My .02

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang, royal gramma, six line wrasse, 3 chromis, and a long spine sea urchin. If anyone of those guys is eating it, it has to be the sea urchin. Unless I have some sort of worm or something I don't know about. Iodine levels are at .06ppm. There is medium/strong current in most of the tank and there is 150X2 watt HQI metal halides and 96x2 actinic PCs.

All of my Xenia has disintegrated now except for one patch. It was actually the first stalk to turn into a blob and break off, but was able to reattach itself to another rock. Its in a spot that gets a lot of light. It looks ok, but I had to redirect a powerhead because it starts to look bad when it gets a lot of flow. I hope it survives, but even if it looks good now, 12 hours later could be another story.

Thanks for all of your advice and observations at this point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts