The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok by popular demand this weeks topic is Refugiums. Big ones, little ones, skinny ones and fat ones. Lets here some info, ideas and concepts.

How to plumb them? Does it need a DSB? What do u put in one? How big does it have to be? What does it do? how did u plumb yours? and the most important question if you droped your watch into it would you stick your hand in it to retrieve it?

Let see some pics folks, some plumbing ideas and so on . this should be a great topic.

MIke

·
Registered
101 Posts
Add onto that list of questions....can you replace a wet/dry with one or do you need both? Anyone converted a wet/dry into a refugium? For optimal nitrate reduction, what is best, mud or sand? How deep (4"?) ? What percentage water volume of the main tank should it hold?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yay! Bring on the practical info !
Another Question/topic id like to see here: pros and cons of CAULERPA and Caulerpa alternatives in the refugium! How many different algaes do you have,
and also: optimum lights for the kind of algae you want there, HOURS lights are on: 24 hours/reverse day/ day only, and the effects if any that this has had on PH (nighttime swings etc)
And has anyone integrated a turf scrubber into the refugium?

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
Hey Cyberchef, I got a 404 warning while trying to look at your site(using NS) do I need that other browser to view it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes some veteran experience would be helpful to us beginners. My system is 6 months old. The pods in the main tank seem to have declined of late. I have tried to limit feedings some (small yellow tang and 2 small clowns) to 1 cube of formula 1 over 3 or 4 days.
The refugium in the sump occasionally puts out a live pod of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, but more commonly I have seen a dead one exit the return. Somewhere on the www people have said about 90% of pods are killed by the main pump. I am planning an above tank 6 gal refug to gravity feed live pods, especially the smaller type. Apparently the little buggers can feed on some macro algae??

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is going to go against what alot of people believe, but I just recently removed my refugium and the tank is doing better because of it. The tank was doing fine before, but I noticed more of a dusting on the glass than I liked. I removed the refugium, and I don't have to clean my glass that much at all now. I still believe refugiums can be beneficial, but not for me I don't think. I have had the refugium off for about 2 weeks, and my levels of PO4 and phosphate are still undetectable. I do a 10% water change every Sunday, and this probably keeps those levels in check. So, as I said, I think refugiums can be great for nutrient export, but for me water changes work well.

Scott

·
Beanieboy
432 Posts
Refugiums

I am about ready to give up on growing calupera in mine. Tried 3 different lights, not much luck. I have a tinted sump, about as dark as the windows on a car. I am setting up another tank with a clear sump, will see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok i have a question.

If you have a DSB in a refugium do you feed the refugium to keep the beneficial sand infauna fed? and if you do what do you feed a DSB?

-James

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Thanks for the headsup Doug... When they made some changes to TRT a while back they added an "S" to the word "forum" so the url was no longer corredt. I've fixed it and it is working now... :D

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
semajftw said:
ok i have a question.

If you have a DSB in a refugium do you feed the refugium to keep the beneficial sand infauna fed? and if you do what do you feed a DSB?

-James
When I f3eed the tank I usually squirt a little blender mush in each refugium for the critters to clean up. Probably not necessary but I can't see any reason not to and I'm sure the BW and such appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok we got a full round of questions :D . I will see if I can shed a little light on a few of them.

Add onto that list of questions....can you replace a wet/dry with one or do you need both? Anyone converted a wet/dry into a refugium? For optimal nitrate reduction, what is best, mud or sand? How deep (4"?) ? What percentage water volume of the main tank should it hold
yes u can convert one but i think it would be tough to have it as both a sump and a refugium. I perfer sand, and they say between 4 to 6 inches but I believe because of the reduced water flow in a refugium you can go down to 3 inches.

Another Question/topic id like to see here: pros and cons of CAULERPA and Caulerpa alternatives in the refugium! How many different algaes do you have,
ok Calurpas you can have many different types but eventually the strongest will prevail. A pro of calurpa is that it acts like a nutrient sponge (amonst other things) and will help your tank a ton with its removal. a con is that it can go sexual and dump it all back in again. to stop this I have found that reverse lighting, trimming the calurpa back once every couple of weeks (so it doesnt starve itself out) and the addition of a dose of Iron once every month works well to.
A refugium with calurpa is really a algae scrubber ...for all intensive purposes. On the lighting I just use a clamp on spot grow light from HD (110watt) and only run it on reverse time (although alot of folks run it 24/7. The idea is that it keep photosynthesis (sp?) going constant so the Ph wont drop when this proces stops at night.

MDT on the dead pod thing you have to look at it like this. What is the life expectency of a live pod once it hits your main tank" If you have fish and a pod gets shot out the return line its dead in a split second. Also most if not all fish capture first and ask questions later, so if it has just died in the pump I dont think the fish will reject it;) .

Scott I dont think the refugium will add algae to your glass. The calurpa that you have in it needs the same nutrients as the algae that is growing on your glass, the difference is that the calurpa is more proficient at capturing the nutrients and thus starves all the other algaes that are trying to grow.

I never feed the refugium either.

For me the refugium serves 2 purposes, 1. its a refuge or an area devoid of large preditors. This allow for the better grow of pods larvaes, bacteria and so on or fuge puke as in it termed. 2. its a great place to grow calurpa to fight and aid in the removal of nutrients. This also creates mor of an enviroment for the grow of the above. One thing that I have noticed over the years is that the more dence the calurpa and/or algae in the refegium the more the critter growth will be.

frlejo try dosing a little Iron.

MIke

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mike,

I agree that removing the refugium probably is not why the light dusting of algae has subsided. It is probably more of the fact that my tank has reached an equilibrium, and it just coincidently happened at the same time that I removed the refugium. I also did not like my refugium because it was actually in the sump. If I ever add another one, ti will be an above tank refugium or something to that effect. Have a great day.

Scott

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most likely Scott. refugiums in sumps are tuff, you run into the to much water flow scenerio and it does not allow the refugium to work at its best. The over the tank unit sounds like a great idea, I believe Nick set up a unit like that to.

have a good dy yourself

mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're wanting a refugium for the purpose of reducing nitrates, would setting one up in the sump be an acceptable fashion of doing it? I'd like to grow my own algae, but doubt I'll ever use the 'fuge to put any other life in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts