The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes... i got nailed last night and i don't even know how bad yet. The cheap little glass heater that i am using on the tank that is holding my stuff until i get the 100g up and running... exploded last night and tripped the breaker. the tank was without power for at least 4-5 hours or more and during that time it looks like some of my babies may have bit the big one. i was unable to do more than get it started again before i had to leave for work so the broken heater is still in there (unplugged). The tank is totally covered in cyno now... looks like it is gonna be a looooong weekend.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Anyone for a cyno scrubbing party??:doh:

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Oh no! :( Sorry about that!

Be sure to run lots of carbon and do a series of water changes over the next several days to get rid of any nasty stuff from the heater.

Hope it works out ok.

Dick:)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I am very frimilliar with disaster. I hope everything turns out ok today!

Just for the record what brand of heater whas it so I can get rid of it if I have it

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, i can't call in sick because i don't have many sick days left. the heater in question was an old one that i had laying around. I dropped my gen-x crystal in on my way out so i hope it can help. I'm gonna be sick if i lose too much.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Good Luck Twitterbait! I hope everything is going to be ok. Keep us updated please.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Man, you shoulda loaned me those corals when I was over there the other day ;) That really sux. I didn't realize stuff died so quickly without flow. Only four hours? I'm planning on having my electric panel replaced soon and will definately be running my generator for my tank while it's being done. Too bad about your disaster.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bemo dropped by and says that the corals don't look too good. My biggest concern is about my clams. I am running RO while i am at work for a WC when i get home.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
I wonder how a UPS system would work for something like that. Typically they are made for a ~600w PC and last ~60min. If all you had was 1 or 2 20W powerheads plugged in or even your 100-200W return pump plugged in I wonder how long it would run those. Anyone ever tried something like that?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts