The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened to me. 3:00 in the morning and I hear what sounds like the Iwaki return pump sucking in air, thinking maybe the return got clogged and all I have to do is unclog it, no such luck. The return PVC pipe coupling somehow came undone (I though I had used pipe dope on that section) almost the entire sump water was now on the living room carpet and all I can think about is how my wife said we should put down tile before the aquarium.

I put new pipe dope on the PVC about 4:00 this a.m. and I'll go home to start mixing some salt and hopefully start the whole system back up this evening. I put a small heater in the main tank along with a air bubbler and hopefully that will keep everyone alive until tonight.

If anyone has any opinions about what I should do from this point, please feel free to let me know.

Just wanted to share....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome the Saltwater world.... :D that happens to everyone some how...

-Paul

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I was mixing salt in my 55 and forgot I was filling it.... needless to say, it overflowed onto the carpet.... I caught it in time so it was only about 5 gallons or so...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using PVC Pipe dope something called red hot blue glue. I guess it's possible that I missed that connection, but I had thought I got them all.

I just got back from lunch and I mixed up some more saltwater and put more heaters in the display tank. Temperature was down to 75 degrees! :mad:

Hopefully everything will be back to normal sometime tonight.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
75 is fine. most things can handle down to about 65 without ill effects. just keep the water moving. if you have PH going that would be better than an airstone. with your protein skimmer out of the look. the air pump will become the protein skimmer.:D this could lead to bubbles on the surface that could impede the gas exchange. just keep the waters surface agitated and all should be good.

G~

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
i used that red hot blue glue, it works great. although i glued all my pieces inside the bedroom (i live in a apt.) and dropped a little on the grey carpet. to make matters worse i use a white shirt to try an absorb it, end result is i now have several blue smears on the carpet. haa haa haa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts