The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 26 gal bowfront with lots of live rock but this guy was big. Here last night ... gone this morning. My clean up crew is one cleaner, two peppermints, 5 hermits, one turbo, one emerald, and a variety of tiny critters that scurry around the rock. The white guy quickly found a spot in the sand that has an opening to a tunnel in the rock with good flow and happily lived there for several weeks. While I was out of town hubby video taped him 'swimming' all over the tank but he was back, more or less, to the same place he'd adopted as home before I returned home. One of the turbo fans was moved so I assumed he was happy when I moved it back to its normal flow direction. I can see virtually my whole take and he is gone. He is too big to hide anywhere I can't see. The only unusual thing I see in the tank are tiny bubbles around the edge of the surface. Could my CUC really devour a big guy like this? The cleaner did molt

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
I have an LTA even bigger than yours is and last night he turned into a ball about an inch in diameter for a few hours. I dont know exact percentages but anemones are very highly made of just water and have a small % of flesh. He probably got really small and wedged himself somewhere. Wait until tomorrow and if you cant find him move your rocks around.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's baaack <3

he turned into a ball about an inch in diameter for a few hours. He probably got really small and wedged himself somewhere. Wait
I didn't have to wait overnight :-D ... Crazy, he made himself tiny and and was tucked into a very small crevice. He's still small but bigger than when he first reappeared.
Who knew?!
Thank you for your time and effort, Reef.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
I didn't have to wait overnight :-D ... Crazy, he made himself tiny and and was tucked into a very small crevice. He's still small but bigger than when he first reappeared.
Who knew?!
Thank you for your time and effort, Reef.
Anytime, glad you found him :)

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Are you feeding it? It seems a little on the bleached side.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was feeding it mysis shrimp alternated with spirulina enhanced brine shrimp. It thrived for a few months. It was always that milk white color. Shortly after the disappearance it balled up again and started decaying. I left it in the tank a few days but it soon became obvious it wasn't normal. It was a bummer to lose, but in all honesty, I was ready to bring back to the LFS. It was stinging corals I didn't want to lose. Maybe the urchin got it, not sure. I think I am staying away from anemones. My clowns play in the current and are happily reproducing like crazy. Now if I can catch my Buick size crab (another possibility for the demise of the anemone) harmony will return to the tank. Last but not least, thanks for the tank kudos. They mean a lot :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.