The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a "housewarming" gift, my mom took me to the lfs to add a few things to our new (since august) tank. (i'd told her only certain fish could go in, in specific orders etc, so she wanted me to yea or nay what she wanted to give). she chose a lubbock's fairy wrasse (which i was told was fine in a mixed reef tank) and some clove coral.... told me "don't kill my housewarming gift".
dripped the wrasse and coral, put them in the tank. coral's doing great. wrasse came out to feed the first few days, then disappeared (no signs of illness/disease before vanishing). a few weeks went by - never saw it again. it didn't jump, i haven't seen any sign it died (tho it must have, and my cc did an awesome job)... so, in hopes of not angering my mom, i went out 3 weeks after "losing" the first one (to a diff lfs) and got a new lubbock's. again, no sign of ick, fungus, parasites.... drip-acclimatized... this one vanished after the first 36 hours.
tank has 2 young ocellaris (approx 1.5" each), a royal gramma, an orange diamond sleeper (sand-sifting) goby, a little tangaroa shrimp goby paired with a 3/4" randall's pistol shrimp, 2 camel shrimp, 2 pepps....a few black/white hermits, a few blue-leg hermits.. a handfull of nassarius, astrea and mex turbo snails... some 'shrooms, button polyps, hammer, frogspawn, cloves, a duster...

i assume if i had a predator stowed away in my l-r that he'd go after the inverts and other fish, not just the wrasses? (most of the other fish/inverts were introduced to my tank long before either fairy wrasse, and they show no signs of stress, bites etc). never saw any of the other fish chase/attack the wrasses (they were both larger than the clowns, and about the same size as the gramma and o-d-s goby....

are lubbock's fairy wrasses just tempermental/finiky/hard to keep? just bad luck? do they have a specific need i may not have met in my tank? i'm stumped, and it's the only fish loss i've experienced, and don't want to have repeats if i can help it.

(did a full water test, and phos/alk/sp grav/nitrate/nitrate/amonia/calcium etc are all well within safe range, and as i said, no other fish/invert is having troubles).

·
Registered
16 Posts
wrasses are jumper... so check out if its not in the floor... I use to had a wrasse (that jumped out).. but before that, he disappear maybe for a week (or may be more).. and then, he just show up again .... don't know if they just like to hide from time to time....(mine was hidden inside a rock)

as a "housewarming" gift, my mom took me to the lfs to add a few things to our new (since august) tank. (i'd told her only certain fish could go in, in specific orders etc, so she wanted me to yea or nay what she wanted to give). she chose a lubbock's fairy wrasse (which i was told was fine in a mixed reef tank) and some clove coral.... told me "don't kill my housewarming gift".
dripped the wrasse and coral, put them in the tank. coral's doing great. wrasse came out to feed the first few days, then disappeared (no signs of illness/disease before vanishing). a few weeks went by - never saw it again. it didn't jump, i haven't seen any sign it died (tho it must have, and my cc did an awesome job)... so, in hopes of not angering my mom, i went out 3 weeks after "losing" the first one (to a diff lfs) and got a new lubbock's. again, no sign of ick, fungus, parasites.... drip-acclimatized... this one vanished after the first 36 hours.
tank has 2 young ocellaris (approx 1.5" each), a royal gramma, an orange diamond sleeper (sand-sifting) goby, a little tangaroa shrimp goby paired with a 3/4" randall's pistol shrimp, 2 camel shrimp, 2 pepps....a few black/white hermits, a few blue-leg hermits.. a handfull of nassarius, astrea and mex turbo snails... some 'shrooms, button polyps, hammer, frogspawn, cloves, a duster...

i assume if i had a predator stowed away in my l-r that he'd go after the inverts and other fish, not just the wrasses? (most of the other fish/inverts were introduced to my tank long before either fairy wrasse, and they show no signs of stress, bites etc). never saw any of the other fish chase/attack the wrasses (they were both larger than the clowns, and about the same size as the gramma and o-d-s goby....

are lubbock's fairy wrasses just tempermental/finiky/hard to keep? just bad luck? do they have a specific need i may not have met in my tank? i'm stumped, and it's the only fish loss i've experienced, and don't want to have repeats if i can help it.

(did a full water test, and phos/alk/sp grav/nitrate/nitrate/amonia/calcium etc are all well within safe range, and as i said, no other fish/invert is having troubles).

·
Registered
14 Posts
do you not have a top on your tank because that is a must when keeping fairy wrasses they are expert jumpers and it not if but when..eggcrate will not keep them out either the best thing i have seen is 1/4 hole netting..i would think that is jumped or you got something that has ate it..fairy wrasses are very easy to keep with a few exceptions and lubbocki is one of the easier ones to keep..fairys do hide alot when first introduced to the tank and i like to use a specimen cup to help with that....but if you do not have a top thats what i would think happened i lost a few that way until i learned the hard way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lynxie : I had exactly the same problem. New tank ..... 1 year old water ..... The first two things that I introduced in the tank are a ghost shrimp and a fairy warsse. It stayed happy for 10 days. No sighns of anything wrong, All test showed everything is OK ...... Now I cannot find the fish for the last 7 days. I have been constantly looking around the tank .... Did not see it outside the tank either .... So it definitely did not jump.

Just cannot figure out where it went. Looked under each rock. It just vanished. Please if someone knows what happens to them then I would like to have this mystery solved.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
wrasses will jump from tanks where other pets tend to think they found a new chew toy. They also jump into overflow boxes. My LFS had one that would jump from one tank to another and back again. They also tend to bury themselves in the sand. My radiant wrasse hid shortly after a tank move by burying itself. It didn't come out of the sand for three days. I thought I lost it another time where I couldn't find it for almost a week, then it showed up again. I have had it for about two years now. No clue why he hid the one time...other time was stress from a move, so that may be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts