The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought a 20 gallon tank that i am going to turn into a wet/dry/fuge. what i wanted to ask was how much space do i need to set aside for my skimmer and return pump(approximate) since i dont have the equipment yet. i would like the refugium to be as large as possible.

my setup will be setup like this overflow/skimmer/fuge/return.

the tanks dimensions are 20x10x12

i'm planning on going with a large skimmer btw, this is all for a 58 fowlr system that i am building.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
For pumps I would look at Eihem as they are high quality and very quiet. Find a model that will pump about the same amount of flow that the skimmer will pump. In the interest of space in the sump I would look at HOB skimmers also. Once you find items that work for you the dimensions will be listed in the description.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I like Eheim pumps as well, highly recommend them. But on a 20 gallon tank, youre not going to have the space for a skimmer, return, and fuge section. If you're planning on a large skimmer, just make a skimmer section, a bubble trap, and return.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
had that skimmer on the same tank, but really didnt get great performance out of it until I installed a mag 7 pump. I started with the mag 5, but just didnt really like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts