The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me dimensions of a MH bulb? I have a buddy at a local sheetmetal place and want to see what we can make for a reflector/hood. Length and approx diameter are all I need.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Reflector, it is really probably best to just get a stock one that has been proven effective. Trying to DIY that part really isn't worth the small savings plus you really want to maximize the amount of light the reaches the tank.

IMO: You better off focusing the effort on the hood design and just buy the reflector portion. If it's not a very wide tank, the PFO parallel reflectors are proabably the better choice plus it has place for supplement flourescents built in. If this is a wide tank, building around a lumenarc would be good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What my ideal system would be 2x 250W single end MH and 2 36" VHO actinics. This is for my 65 gallon and I already have the VHO's, so I was going to make a 38" long hood/reflector that would fit everything underneith it. External appearance is not that important because it will be behind a wall.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
My SE Mogul bulbs in the socket are 10.5" long by 3" wide 250s.hths

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much to see yet, but once I'm going your more than welcome to come by.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
PFO makes a parallel reflector is 36" long and should accommidate your needs just fine and can mount 2 MH in the reflector along with your flourescent supplements. This will probably focus more light into your tank than you can with a DIY. IMO: Relfectors is just not something to DIY.

If its inwall then no hood necessary just use cable or chains to hang the reflector....

Dirk should carry these along with most mail order places:

·
Registered
284 Posts
hey i want one of those is there one for 48"... i heart my lumenarcs but they are just too big for my canopy and its just an eyesore now

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright I will have to find something else for a diy project then. That is way nicer than I could have done, and isn't very expensive either.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Great.....glad I was able to help. I was kind of thinking that you just didn't know what the options were out there without trying to DIY one and doubtful you could build to equal it in performance without some CAD and computer simulation type work involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts