The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have this digitata coral, and the last two nights i have nocked it accidentally against the glass and every time i do one of the tips breaks off. I'm not really too concerned, it just seemed to break abnormally easy. My calcium did accidently get a little low, but i am slowely raising it back up. So what are your guys's opinions? should i be concerned? will it just grow back natually? and if i keep the broken tips will they grow into new corals? because that would cool. I have never fragged so i don't know if these would live or not. Thanks in advance.:cool:

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Corals are very fragile!
Take the tips and glue them to a piece of LR with super glue gel, i think theyll grow into new coral colonies for you.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Monti Digi's will frag easy, and yes the tips will grow if you glue them to a good spot. Thicker corals are tougher, thinner.... Kind of like chalk sticks. My clown frags my digi's for me, but she can't frag the caps or stags. Enjoy the new frags.

·
Premium Member
19,379 Posts
So i have this digitata coral, and the last two nights i have nocked it accidentally against the glass and every time i do one of the tips breaks off. I'm not really too concerned, it just seemed to break abnormally easy...
Normal for this coral in conditions for closed systems. low to moderate (i.e., non-wave action) makes this a fragile coral in captivity. This will have no long-term effect on healthy specimens. This is normal.

My calcium did accidently get a little low, but i am slowely raising it back up. So what are your guys's opinions? should i be concerned? will it just grow back natually?
low Ca (within minimal range of 300-to 350 PPm Ca++ and alk no less than 5-7 dKH) will not affect the strength of the skeleton, more likely it affects the rate of clcification and skeletalization if it get too low. C & S deposition is rate-limited rather than a qualitative issue within these (low to normal) ranges.

and if i keep the broken tips will they grow into new corals? because that would cool. I have never fragged so i don't know if these would live or not.
This is how fragmentation occurs in the wild, and many aquarists get their first frag via this route. Glue them down to a calcium-based substrate, and consider gluing the length if the frag horizontally to encourage branching of the growing specimen.

All this is very normal with stony corals in general, and M. digitata in particular.

Congratulations, you're a new parent!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
:eek:ldman:
"I remember when corals would frags themselves...we didn't need all these fancy fragging tools you kids got nowadays..."
I still have that problem ;)

I have remnants of fragged montis all over my sandbed..LOL

No to mention the handfuls of Monti cap that gets tossed every month or two...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.