The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Asking $125 firm. Cash only. No checks or trades.

Please Note: Ace has first priority since he inquired on it a while back before I was ready to sell. So he has a couple of day to respond.

This is the original Reefkeeper. NOT THE REEFKEEPER 2.

The control unit was send back under warranty late summer and was replaced with a brand new one. It was sent back because of the backup clock battery issue where it would loose time after power out and reset to 12am. So this unit is the most updated bug free as an original reefkeeper can be. There are many units out there still with the clock battery issue.

The power bar portion is about 2 years old.

I will offer a 30day money back guarantee to be sure it's a good fit. However, any obvious misuse or overloading the power strip with too much amps is not covered.

I also ask that you be sure your ballasts are compatable with this unit before buying. Some ballasts especially some MH electronics can cause too much electrical interference with the unit. Use the DA sponsors forum on Reef Central to be sure. Also, it is a known issue that the Universal ( Tek retro ) T5 ballasts can also have issues. I used Icecap flourescent ballasts and the ARO electronic PC ballast on it with no problems.

Overall it a pretty good unit for those who don't need PH control. If you currently don't have a temp. controller for your heater. This is worth it for that feature alone. Not to mention the timers and wavemaking ability. The only dissapointment I have with it was they never pursued firmware upgrade to allow lights to be turned off when temps get high and instead only put that functionality into the Reefkeeper 2 model.

Reason for selling: I had this unit on BJs 23g that recently sold and have AC Jrs on my other tanks. It would likely just sit in storage so I decided to offer it up for someone who could use it.... especially someone who is running a tank without a temp controller :( . It may save your tank someday.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The controller is not compatable with Ace's ballast so this unit is available.

For those interested, these are the ballast that will not work with the reefkeeper because of electrical noise:

Coralvue
Hamilton Tech
Universal Lighting T5 which is the ballast Tek retrofit kits come with.
PFO HQI ( some will some won't )

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
wish I had the expendable cash right now, I would take it for the small tank. It is worth it just to control the lights and the heater. If you still have it in a few weeks I will probably take it :). (although I am sure you wont

·
Registered
626 Posts
David - I will take it for my frag tank I am setting up if its still available and also provided it works with my lighting. I have a PFO HQI mini-pendant with an Ice Cap 660 ballast. I believe it should work but not 100% sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts