The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with their Reef Keeper?

My PH probe has never worked (on the second one)
Salinity probe doesn't work
Random alarms and errors when no event occurred
No manual or instructions just a forum

I'm I the only one not in love with this system and company?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a RKL with 2 PC4s, SL1, and pH probe...all working great. I'm very happy with my purchase. I love the peace of mind I get with this system, redundency galore! There are a number of things that can cause the issues you are having, besides human error. I would reccomend using their forum for support.

There is manual, you just have to download it. Saves a little money not to have to print and include a copy in every box. Also, they update their firmware which adds functionality and would make the manuals obsolete.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

I would start with the manual (make sure to read everything, there are other ways to acomplish what you need and this will help you understand what the terms mean), make sure everything is setup correctly/ the way you want, then try troubleshooting in the support forum.

If I were to guess I would say it's interferrence in the bus cables. Make sure they are not bundled up with other cables or power cords as they are sensitive to electrical interferance. It can get kind of messy, but try to resist the desire to do cable managment, at least until you are sure that they are not affected by interferance. However, before doing anything, make sure to update each component's firmware by conecting it directly to the SID. Then try re-calibrating the pH probe. If none of that works, your firmware could be corupted. First try a factory reset. If that doesnt work, there is a firmware update interrupt method that I would not reccomend you try before going through the trobleshooting process with an official Digital Aquatics rep. Also, there is a problem with certain devices not working corectly on channels/outlets 2 and 3 (the solid state switches). This is due to the way these devices draw power and not the PC4 itself. All manufacturers of solid state switched outlets, including the apex system, will have the same issue with some devices. For example, my Hydor Koralia Nanos would turn on but not off or visa versa.

These will fix the control issues if you have any on thoes ports.You can try using a basic surge protector to see if that fixes your control issue before buying anything you may not need.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006BBAB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GLWL0O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If it's not related to your settings and not the things I mentioned, you may have got a bad unit. As long as you have a proof of purchase, they will RMA it and ship you a new one.

Don't give up, I love this system. Yea, the learning curve is steep, but it's worth every penny I paid. So much so that I spent more, gladly.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
I had a RKL and hated the stinking thing. I just couldn't count on it for anything and was basically nothing more than a glorified timer, but it didn't even do that very well. I finally gave up on the thing and went with an Apex, couldn't be happier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts