The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone else has had issues with the Digi-Temp Thermometers?

http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_digitemp.html

I have had mine for a little over a month now and thought my temp was way too high. After comparing it to numerous other thermometers I now realize that my over temp problem is the thermometer not my MH lighting. This thing reads four (4) degrees high.
:angry: :bigeek: :angry:

·
11,345 Posts
Call the manufacturer or the vendor you bought it from. I had the same thing happen with a pinpoint wireless digital. I had two of them so it was easy to see the difference. Pinpoints margin was 2 degrees...mine was 3 off and they no problem sent me a new one....even let me keep the old one. I just have to remember that station 3 is 3 degrees off. Im willing to bet yours has similar tolerances and if you let them know theyll take care of it.

ScruffyRubicon said:
Just checking to see if anyone else has had issues with the Digi-Temp Thermometers?

http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_digitemp.html

I have had mine for a little over a month now and thought my temp was way too high. After comparing it to numerous other thermometers I now realize that my over temp problem is the thermometer not my MH lighting. This thing reads four (4) degrees high.
:angry: :bigeek: :angry:

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Good luck trying to reach somebody from JBJ. In my experience even the local distributors don't like dealing with warranty issues on JBJ products, and trying to reach the manufacturer (overseas) is an effort in futility.

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweet price is forgotten."

IMO get yourself a Coralife digital thermometer (~$11 retail) or a Lifegard Big Time Temp (~40 retail) or a Little Time Temp (~25 retail). All of these work just fine and if you have a problem with them you don't have to move heaven and earth to get a replacement.

The Coralife one is the best bang for your buck, IMO.

Jenn

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I agree with Jenn your better off getting a dif. then paying the shipping and all the calls.I use the Coralife and I'm happy with it!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I use the Coralife ones too but they aren't exactly accurate - but for the money they are a bargain! I have the CL one in my 135-gallon plus an old fashioned "glass" thermometer just in case. I use both of them to verify the temp for the chiller adjustments.

HHC

·
11,345 Posts
Hmm...weird that everybody says other brands than pinpoint. I think the basic unit is like $30, but then for abouit $15 each, you can add 3 more probes....all wireless............and get the unit to read all 4 probes. I like them and they most definitley DO support their product.

Thats good to know about JBJ though......scratch them off the list of EVER buying anything from. I usually give the manufacturers and vendors the benefit of the doubt first, i would have obviously lost on that one.:)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
If you look at the Coralife you see that it has an accuracy of +-1.5, that is quite a bit IMHO. I have had quite a few go out on me, I have one that now reads -7.8 at 80 deg, but for the price, I just double check the reading when I get one and make a note of how far off it is, and buy another one when the old breaks.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one of the old glass tube ones I should have been trusting all along. I used it most of the time on my old 75g. I also had one of the stick on thermometers that always matched the glass one. Maybe I'll just get another stick on and verify the temps match from time to time.

Done with the cheap digitals.

·
Registered
430 Posts
could be your lights heating the plastic part of the thermometer up higher than the water? just a thought. I have the el cheapo coralife one.. seems to get the job done.. but I think I will get an old school one (glass tube - leave it in the sump) for super accurate readings..

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually moved the Digi-Temp to the sump and had the same results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts