The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be the more likely cause of this cabbage leathers demise? Too much light or not enough light. Hes at 10" under water, 260w PC. He's deff not happy!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You may have to move it around the tank a bit and make sure it has proper water flow around the coral and it will let you know if it likes it in that spot or not!
If it is really looking bad I would frag some good parts and start over with them!:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its perched at the highest peak with 2 alternating powerheads aimed at it. I'll lower it and see what happens. Prob is that the little frag on the bottem of the tank doesnt look that great either.?????

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
9fishers said:
Its perched at the highest peak with 2 alternating powerheads aimed at it. I'll lower it and see what happens. Prob is that the little frag on the bottem of the tank doesnt look that great either.?????
These are lagoonal species of octocorals and will do much better with less currebnt. try moving them down to areas where you may not have much current. They will usually thrive in areas where they cn get moderate lighting ((moderate shade under MH's, direct middle light if VHO's, mid level lighting under PC's).

These are like all leathers, they will pout a bit until they get accustomed to your tiank. They may slime a bit as well, but they will usually recover well after a week or so.

HTH

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okie Dokie!

Thanks guys He's now down low, pouting and sliming. I'll give him a few days and keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
update?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooops, sorry guys...

The cabbage is actually 2 on one rock. The first one seems to open out for a day or two and then shrink back. The other has stayed shrunk (is that a word?) back. They're down in the bottom, sorta protected by liverock. I dont know what else to do. Everything else in the tank is thriving. Are these cabbage leathers particularly sensitive to any certain condition or additive? I have basic test kits but not for things like iodine, stronthium (sp?)
Thanks for following up on this thread. Very nice of yall!

Oh, and have a good *onday ;)

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Sometimes they get real waxy and stay like that for a few days. Not much to do but wait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts