The Reef Tank banner

Did my Bicolor Blenny kill my Yash Goby?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeremyb 
#1 ·
I have a 50 Gallon Reef tank I am setting up for seahorses. I have 2 Firefish, a 2" Bicolor Blenny and I HAD a Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair. The last fish to go in was the Bicolor, who shortly thereafter took up residence for a couple days in the same rock/burrow as the Yasha Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp. From that day on I have not seen the Yasha. I can see, however, that the Pistol Shrimp is alive and well in the burrow where he stays. Is it possible that the Bicolor, who now never goes in that burrow, killed the Yasha Goby? The Yasha used to be out in front of her burrow with the Pistol Shrimp nearby inside. I have not seen the Yasha in 2-3 weeks, since the Bicolor first came into the tank. Thoughts?

Do I dare add another Shrimp Goby? If so, what would be the best kind to add?

#2 ·
Sorry about taking someone so long to respond. Usually, they respond in a day. Welcome to TRT. You shouldn't add seahorses, they need a species only tank. Please also add tank specs. Your Yasha goby may not be dead just hiding, or he could have got sucked up in the filter or jumped from the tank. Give it a shot and add another goby then if it bullies it remove your least favorite (goby or bicolor). Also, the Yasha could have died of disease and was eaten by the pistol and other CC. Most likely the bicolor is not cause of death, in most cases, the pistol will scare them off and barricade the burrow.

#3 ·
Yeah I tend to agree mostly here with Stripbass2. I WOULD NOT add seahorses in the tank together, I think that's going to be a not so good idea. I wont say that seahorses cant go into a tank with fish...but I think it needs to be a nano size and with SLOW moving fish that wont steal all the food. Garden eels maybe? Tanaka pygmy wrasse...Gum drop counch fish, things like that....and even then I would probably target feed if it were me. As for the Blenny...that's a tough one. Personally I think what may have happened...just speculation is that the blenny bullied the yasha into hiding and the fish just died from starvation....I think. I have heard...have heard from some long time Blenny keepers that the bi-colors, CAN be real jerks. I'm not saying this is what happened, but it seems awfully suspicious. I could maybe believe he got sucked up in a filter or jumped out as well...especially if you don't have a canopy and or roped of overflow area so to say. I personally owned a Rainford goby at one point and did not want to put a bi-color in there, and also I had a tanaka pygmy wrasse I was a bit worried about. I'm not sure if you know, but I have seen some HUGE bi-colors as well...which would also concern me...bigger bi-color, bigger bully at some point. Just my 2 cents. Never owned one myself though. Its kinda weird how he decided to hang out in the same area as the Yasha....maybe you need more LR? I had a rainford goby and a yellowhead jawfish in quarantine together and they shared the same rock...but the rainford didn't come out for 3 days, so I removed him and put him into the DT tank and he lived until I accidently OD NOPOX like an idiot :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.