The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 days ago I placed rock into my SW tank (some base and some live rock). I didn't think about turning off my water filter even though there was a lot of loose particles flying around. I have a power filter Penguin 350 (for up to 70g). I just looked at my tank and saw that the filter wasn't running. Would the free particles jam up the filter? If anyone has any advice also as to how I would go about fixing it, I would love to hear it. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Did you disassemble the filter yet? Typically the penguin ones the inlet tube just pulls out from the top and you can inspect the impeller and see if something has lodged inside it. In most cases I've seen, sand or something is keeping it from operating properly and with a cleaning its good as new. Let me know if you want me to come take a look. :)

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I agree that usually a good cleaning is all it takes, but if a pump is going to have problems, they often do show up within a few days of installing it so it could be either one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nick....I was going to head over to take pics of some things for Jerad so you could ID. I'll just assume you will make your way to his place. He only lives about 4-5 blocks from your work.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yup, I'm headed there after work tonight.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On a 55 I would personally ditch the filter and just use a Red Sea Prizm skimmer... especially if you are only planning a few fish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So how did the ID go? Is the filter up and running?

On the skimmer comment above.....I am thinking his skimmer is plenty good as is (Coralife 220 I believe). Being there is no sump it might be worth having the "mechanical" filtration of this unit during startup here. But yeah, once he is established it could be a different story.

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea everything is great! Nick fixed my filter and gave an ID although its not what I had hoped for (tube worm). Sadly I was moving stuff around before he got there and ran into a small problem; my ballast broke. I am contemplating using just that 48 light for now and then in a few months upgrading to a T5 setup. Do you think the 48 PC will be sufficient?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you just talking about the largest bulb in that fixture? Any way you can swap ballasts and run the 2 small bulbs instead....since we know they are new?

Otherwise, if you know you are going to T5 I have a better PC 48" fixture at my house that we could plop on that tank until the upgrade happens.

How close are you to trying some corals? Fish?

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the one light and the fan running. The other two smalls need a new ballast. I can get a new one but I saw that they are like $30. I am just hesitant to get a new one if I plan on switching in the future. But I am at least a week away from getting fish/corals but I am very excited :D

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Your PC fixture will be fine initially...lots of people still run them. The output & spectrum often isn't as good as t5's or VHO for florescent bulbs, but for starting your tank out you don't have many intense light requiring corals. Pretty much all softies will live well for a long period under pc's until you upgrade from light requiring corals.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Here's that refurb Current USA I told you about last night.

http://stores.ebay.com/currentusa_A...18QQ_sidZ661055838QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

If you could swing it this 6 bulb with individual reflectors is good. Would be nice too when you move up to that 75 or 90 in a few months. :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-NovaExtreme-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4150bb547f

Otherwise you could look at retrofit kits for 48" bulbs to put in that exsisting fixture. Its got enough space it would be easy enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts