The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank I think is just finishing cycling or perhaps somewhere in the middle as I am getting some diatom blooms, From my searches I see that most recommend syphoning out the diatoms and the silicates they posess and also to do a good amount of water changes.

Over the past week or so I have changed out about 25 gal of my 60 gal tank, I want to syphon out the diatoms but was thinking if I do that then do another 15 gal water change that I might start exporting some of the stuff I need for my tank to complete cycling.

So my question is given my situation (new tank and recent water changes) should I just suck out the diatoms and minimal water and just replace a couple gallons or should I go full blown 20% water change.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
The cycle will have that happen and nothing to worry about, I don't ever siphon it out or do a water cahnge during the cycle, I will wipe it off the glass and if I have a sand bed I stir it under. Need more info on how long the tank hads been set up and so on

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
just let it go its coarse. what you are waiting for is the sponges under the rocks to get going. when they start growing they uptake all of the free silicates so diatoms are not able to grow. just one of the many other cycles that occur during the first year of a new tank.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dont touch it just let that baby run it will use up the fuel and go in time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k so just leave it alone huh, It's been up for about 2 months now and I have been siphoning out the algae and doing a crapload of water changes, most of my fish that I have put in have died but my inverts are alive,, ( I started another thread on that) Only fish that is living now is a goby and he seems to be doing ok. The algae seemed to be ok but I think as I had all those fish in before they died I fed them too much trying to get them to eat and figuring out what they liked to eat and then the algae started again. This is also why i did a crapload of water changes to get my readings back down to 0 on nitrates but now that I see this algae again I am wondering if I still do have a nitrate problem or maybe I'm still in the middle of the cycle. Kinda a crappy start to be honest, I got too exited and went to fast. I'll be happy if my Goby pulls through though. Given these circumstances do you guys still think I should let the algae be?

Also what are you guys talking about when you say the sponges that grow underneath?

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
You'll start seeing little white things growing in the dark areas under your rocks. I think those are tunicates. Sponges and tunicates use silicates the same way diatoms do to grow. If you have RO/DI you can eventually get the silicates down to a managable level through regular water changes. The diatoms slowly start disappearing and sponges will stop growing. What is your water source for top off and water changes? I have well water...my silicates are off the chart on the Seachem test so I have to use RO/DI. Those phosphate/silicate removers don't work.

What kind of circulation do you have in the tank? I'm guessing the algae is growing in low flow areas because that's where the detritus is collecting. (Detritus=phosphates...aka...algae fertilizer)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use RODI for fill up and water changes, flow is pretty good I think, have poisedon t1 from the sump pushing water out the return, It's enough so that sand get moved a little bit and I have it pointing kinda at the back wall to disperss it a bit cause If a don't alot of sand goes everywhere. But yes where the flow hits the sand no algae grows and nothing on my rocks yet either, but the hermits and snails are on them all day long so this may be why nothing there.

I guess mainly I'm trying to figure out if I am still in the cycle or if I am out of it and I messed up so bad that the algae is returning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts