The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am on day 5 of my 20 gal FOWLR tank and I was wondering two things:

1. I still have little to no ammonia in my tank, (I just added 5 more pounds of LR so that might help) Is this normal 5 days in?

2. I am waiting for my datom bloom. Biologically speaking what has to happen for the bloom to start? Does the bloom essentialy start my cycle?

Sorry if any of this is confusing, I have a feeling these two questions answer eachother ha ha.

Thanks for your help guys! :icon_rock:

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
what did you use to start the cycle (i.e. feed the tank)? Generally after the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate cycle is done you will start to see diatoms. It's hard to put a # of days on it. It is a biological process and hard to quantify :)

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did you use to start the cycle (i.e. feed the tank)? Generally after the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate cycle is done you will start to see diatoms. It's hard to put a # of days on it. It is a biological process and hard to quantify :)
I haven't "fed" the tank anything (I have no fish yet). Am I supposed to add fish food for the LR at the beginning??

Right now I'm not seeing ANY ammonia which leads me to believe I should have something producing waste. Does this just come naturally with time from the LR/LS?

Again, I don't have any fish yet and am trying to cycle my system. Thanks.

· Registered
546 Posts
Hey 3fingers,

Sometimes just the rock is enough to start the cycle. Well, it's always enough, but it takes time. To speed things up, you can toss in a cocktail shrimp or some fish flakes. Don't expect anything to happen fast, though. There's a lot of waiting involved in this hobby

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 3fingers,

Sometimes just the rock is enough to start the cycle. Well, it's always enough, but it takes time. To speed things up, you can toss in a cocktail shrimp or some fish flakes. Don't expect anything to happen fast, though. There's a lot of waiting involved in this hobby
Thanks very much,
I definitely have the patience (I've been planning my tank for months) Its just that I'm almost a week in and I don't see any ammonia levels. My live rock is full of stuff, so I'm assuming it will happen soon. Maybe I will try the cocktail shrimp.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
depending on how "live" the LR is, it could take quite a while for stuff to die off and rot. this can cause the ammonia to be high for a while. the more "cured" the LR is, the less die off usually.

just let the tank do its thing for at least 2 months. after 2 months the water will be fine to add your clean up crew.

G~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.