The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I was last on here, but just wanted to say the website looks great.

Quick question:

I just purchased a venturi protein skimmer a couple of months ago and have seen some awesome results in my water quality and clarity. I can't believe how much sludge it has removed from the water and brought algae under control. I'm still having a difficult time getting any sort of growth on my few pounds of LR I have in my tank. I have two VHO bulbs and a couple of flourescent tubes. My primary filtration is bio balls, being that I have a tru-vu with the bio balls built into the back of the tank. I have no refugium or sump, yet, no secondary filter, just a protein skimmer. Is it more lighting and filtration I need? I have a 4-stage RO/DI unit and closely monitor my saltwater mixing. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Well I would get a sump and get rid of the bioballs,when you get a sump going,what are your calcium levels? ALK? Do you have good water current in the tank?Are you going to get more rock
bioballs is old science in filtration nowdays.

·
Administrator
48,724 Posts
With 100g tank and the fish load you have , I would definatly look to making a few changes, esp adding a lot more cured rock. Also I would fearm out the fish for a while while the rock cures. then dump the bioballs and stuff, see if theres anyway to convert that part into an overflow, backdrill it for a bulkhead or two and set up the drain lines with Durso or Stockman mods to quiet them then add a sump, after you figure out what you want to do.
I see you have had a go round with a MAgnum 350 canister filter, in my opinion it or the fluval or ther canisters hace some benefit in cleaning but as permanent long term filtration, too much maint, Live rock and sand will serve you better, esp if you are wanting to evolve into a reef.
With the fish load you have and coarse crushed coral gravel I am surprised you dont have nitrates reading off the chart. Good luck with this project

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.