The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a quick question that I'm hoping can be answered. I have a 10 gallon nano that has been running for a little over 4 months. But before that I cycled the tank with a shrimp in it to decay and let the tank do its thing for at least 6 weeks. I have one Yellow Tail Damsel and a Ocellaris Clown in there with two Cortez Hermit Crabs. In the last two weeks there has been what looks to me to be Detritus slowly covering all the glass in the tank along with my Heater, Powerhead and HOB intake. HOB is just filled with rock no filter floss or chemicals. What would be causing it to cover those things but the rock and sand are clear of it? Here is a picture of what it looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
25% water changes every week. Using only RO water and Instant Ocean Salt. I use my siphon and go over the sand every two weeks. nothing ever comes up though. The hermits keep the sand really clean. I took my Mag Float to the glass today during my water change and when the I clean the glass the white stuff I though was Detritus goes flying everywhere in the water. Not get stuck on the Mag Float like Diatoms do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive never blown the rocks because I don't see it on them at all. I do have a HOB along with my nano koralia. The HOB just has some rubble rock in it. And the water is actually distilled water

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Unless you have xray vision you wont see alot of the detritus rock creates. There is plenty built up in the passageways of the rock. Take the rocks out of your hob and shake em out in yoir waterchange water next time you do a waterchange. You might be unpleasantly suprised. Try using a turkey baster to blow off your rocks as well, let that stuff settle then vacuumvacuum your sandbed. A better watersource would help but if your distilled water tests 0 tds itll be fine, it probably doesnt though.

A hob with rock in it is really just the same as a hob with filter media in it, except it has a higher chance of harboring denitrifying bacteria, shaking the rock out in your wc water each wc should provide to be a good filter though. Other then those things just keep up the maintenance and feed properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I will do that! Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Would snails be okay with my two hermits? I was thinking about getting 3 or 4 cerith snail

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Hermits may kill the snails and take their shells (or just kill them for fun). They seem to particularly like cerith shells. You can lessen the chances of that from happening by offering a lot of different sized shells for them to switch into, but there's always the possibility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts