The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your guys opinion what/who would be my best bet to get rid of detris in my tank. I'm doing water changes while siphoning and using a micron filter, but its not enough. Everyweek, the same amount of detris is raised fromt he substrate . . . . .specific snails that prefer detris over algae, some sort of crab? All I have in my tank right now is a scarlett reef, electric blue, and a turbo (29 gallons) They're pretty much always on algae control.

ls

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I would add some turbo snails and increase your flow. How many power heads do you have in the tank? Increasing flow will help the detritus move out of the water column in to the filtering system.

HHC

·
Registered
107 Posts
Turbos eat micro algae and diatoms not known as a detrius eater.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
yep, nass snails are great, they eat everything and they stir the sandbed too. Get about a dozen. Maybe get a little star too, brittle or serpent...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there is nothing that will take out end detritus beside you and your siphon and a cranking skimmer. at some point detritus is used up and nothing wants to eat it anymore. this is why high flow is important. it gets a lot of it up in the water column to be removed by mechanical means. usually the skimmer.

nassarius are meat eaters, they only eat the first level food, do not eat detritus, they eat the left over food that falls on the bottom. cucmbers and Ceriths are your best bet for breaking down the first level of fish poo detritus.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts