The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a small rock with a couple of really nice mushrooms. Since then it has prospered and I now have 4 mushrooms.

I noticed tonite that one of them has detached from the rock and is literally hanging on by a thread.

First question is can shrooms detach because they want to or did I do something to cause it?

Second, how do I get it reattached? toothpicks, rubber bands epoxy, what?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hope this helps

I dont know what caused it to detach, but i know how to reattach it. I tried to rubberband mine back and that didnt work for me. The shrooms are so slimey, they came out from under it. I read though, that you can use bridal veil netting. Place a piece on top of your rock with the shroom sandwiched in the middle. You can either secure the netting in place with superglue or a rubberband.The shroom will soon reattach itself.
Hope this helps...
Keep us posted!

Nicole

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I have had one or two "move" on me to adjoining rocks and/or substrate. It could be as simple as a fish swiped it but it can detach in bad water conditions. I have seen it in cycling tanks where the live rock had shrooms on it. In the case I am talking about I have seen the loose shroom disapear but a new one grow where the foot was.
My wife uses the bridal veil method and rubberband method. However, if you get "Coral Glue", (I am not sure what it is just the "Under the Wave" was selling it and it may be called GARF glue but I am not at home), I have been having a lot of success attaching frags. It is weird in that I attached a piece of Acropora on a piece of relativly dry rock frag, and as soon as I placed it in the water, it really attached well. (my fingers got stuck to the rock).

Ray

Ray

·
Registered
288 Posts
Clay,

'shrooms can detatch themselves. One cause could be too much flow at the base, 'washing it away'. That's a good way to get them to move or spead, if you want. Just use a piece of bridal veil to loosely hold it in place on a rock until it reattaches. It took about a week for mine. I wouldn't try to reattachit in the same place, since something probably upset it there.

HTH
Daryl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts