The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRT,

I hope this doesn't get moved to the DYI Section as this is a general poll for everyone to see. I am designing a new sump and was curious as to what would all you out in TRT land would like in your dream sump design. How big would it be? Would you like or dislike a FW resevoir segregate chamber for an auto top off system? How big would you make the refugium section? How big would you make the return pump chamber to support pump, heaters, skimmer? Any ideas, opinions? Just curious as to see what peoples idea of a great sump should be.

Earl

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90 Gallon to a 180 Gallon so the dimensions are up to you guys. I am just getting ideas as to what people want in a sump if they could build or have someone build their dream sump/refugium.

I built one based on the ecosystem sump with a large refugium middle section for my 90 Gallon tank and was just wondering what others liked if they could build their idea of the perfect sump.

So put your thinking caps on and ask yourself if I could buy, build, or have someone build that perfect sump what size would it be, would it have a refugium and how big, what features would I add in it like holders for heaters, how big would the return pump chamber be and would I put enough room in it for an in sump skimmer.

I am just trying get people here on the board to open up and put down on this thread what features would be in their perfect sump.

Earl

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hmm id have to work a little on sizes. but my ideal sump, would have:

a chamber for the return pump that would be more than big enough to have it in there, AND be bale to easily get my hands in there for working on it.

a chamber for the skimmer, again large enough that i could easily get to it. i'd like a chamber totally dedicated to the skimmer output. that way i could put in a large foam block as a buble catcher. so the skimemr output would dump onto the foam block, then move on to the next chamber. imo that would significantly reduce the amount of "bubble walls" that would be needed, moving on to the return chamber.

a chamber specifically for nothing but the heater.

a chamber for nothing but a carbon bag.

a chamber large enough to get hands into that would basically be just a spot for doing water tests, without having to work around the equipment. this spot could also hold a sensor for an electronic thermometer, and one of the electronic ph sensors.

perhaps a chamber for the occasional need to run phosphate absorbing materials.

a fuge would be nice, but would have to cover the entire length of the front of the sump. then spill over into the return chamber at the end. that way the stand could be built so the fuge could be visible if desired. the fuge back wall, would be black acrylic, that way you could see the fuge, but not even know there is a sump and skimmer, and heaters etc... all right behind it in the same tank.

an extra capacity section for fw top off might be pretty cool too! that chamber, if possible, would hold enough water for 7 days worth of auto top off.

possibly another large chamber for mixing new saltwater, for water changes. that could then be mixed ahead of time, and be able to sit there for a few days and aerate, then be pumped into the main chambers.

the only holes i would have drilled in the outside of the sump would be a drain hole. that way i could just screw a hose in, and open a valve. drain out some water. close the valve, remove the hose, and pump the water in from the holding chamber.

i think by now, this is quite a LARGE sump :D but, hey you asked for hte dream sump ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a pretty hefty sump there Jay. So what you are saying is the sump will be twice the size of your tank. Well that will increase your water volume. ;) Those really are some great ideas hopefully more will chime in.

My dream sump would have a large refugium area for frags and critters susceptable to predators, a large area for the return pump and all the heaters and PH sensors. I too want to build one with a 7 to 10 gallon FW chamber to hold my top off water for 7 days. I like the idea of the overflow from the sump to the back chambers. I would have never thought about that one. I am using the flow straight through method. I also like your idea of putting in a drain valve which would make water changes easier for me if I had one. Just hook up a hose.

Cool. I am glad to see some one else likes the idea for an auto top off resevoir built in.

Earl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.