The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
softie crazy
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok so i think i finally found what this crap is called on another forum shhhhhhhhh i didnt say that ; o..So i went to the meeting came home got depressed at how bad my tank was looking from the green crap i have been fighting for months know.PUlling off only helps for a while then it grows back.So i dug in and turned all my rocks i know im going to have massive die off of sponge :cry: and hopfully this stuff called (derebesia)..Im still trying to talk hubby into letting me get a phoshate reactor but with him just going back to work this week from being layed off for the winter and the cake buisness dont pick up till May we have been short money.(should have bought that before i started my tattoo)errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...Anyways weekly waters changes for me no more 2 or 3 weeks ; (.....It said in the thread

derebesia - chitons like it but they try to farm it - doubt they would finish it off , definitely eat it though. Aid them with aggressive manual removal, water changes and competition so it doesn't grow back as fast. Hopefully that will get you to the point you can change the tide.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

So not much to do but water changes and pulling off .CRAP if this dont work im getting all new rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:
but on a brighter side it dosent bother my coral at all everything is looking awsome....:D

oh by the way i did pull of before flipping rock!only rock i couldnt flip was the one with the rittierie he wasnt bugginh to come off that rock ; o....
If anyone else has any suggestion that would be great but i know i need a reactor..it would so much easier if the pet store would just carrie them!

·
softie crazy
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

still have some more to do this morning sence tank is cleared up....but made my rock work flater sence alot of water changes ahead!

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Angie here are a few more suggestions.

Can you get out some of the larger rocks that have the most on them?
If it's only on a few rocks or just the rocks on top you might be able to take them out and cook them. A refugium is another option. Give the algea a place to live. Reduce your photo period by 1/2 for a few weeks. The only concern would be the nems but they should be fine...

·
softie crazy
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Angie here are a few more suggestions.

Can you get out some of the larger rocks that have the most on them?
If it's only on a few rocks or just the rocks on top you might be able to take them out and cook them. A refugium is another option. Give the algea a place to live. Reduce your photo period by 1/2 for a few weeks. The only concern would be the nems but they should be fine...
my plan was to take them all out and just let them dry out ..but then by brother stopped over and talked me into flipping them ..He took 4 big rocks of coral because i was going to throw them away because i couldnt flip them.. 2 of the biggest rocks have anenomies on them other have coral i even had richie cut off all my speggetie coral off one 20 pound rock to flip it over it was a mess i kinda had a breaking piont :freak:still there:bigeek: i would love to have a refugium to throw all the rock and buy new but that will never happen ; (

·
Cube Keeper
252 Posts
Yup, Algae likes light! Just like our corals... I have an order from reefcleaners.org coming with a couple chitons in it believe it or not :D I hear they eat pretty much any hair algae... I know how you feel, but I just won a battle with Bryopsis, so the battle can be won! Bryopsis is the most evil of all algaes!!!!

Good Luck!

Don

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a few tiny patches of this (or something similar) in my 29, it was growing between a zoa colony, forcing them to migrate and move, then they were consumed by a nasty fast growing sponge.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You might try scrubbing the rock with a brush in a bucket with some tank water. How high are your phosphates? You might be able to find some phosphate sponge around here somewhere and wrap it around a pump intake or run some phosphate remover in a filter sock in a high flow area.

·
softie crazy
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might try scrubbing the rock with a brush in a bucket with some tank water. How high are your phosphates? You might be able to find some phosphate sponge around here somewhere and wrap it around a pump intake or run some phosphate remover in a filter sock in a high flow area.
been there done that whole scrubbing rock thing it worked but then came back..im running phoszorb on both of incoming on my sump !!!im not going to let it go and stay on top and just keep pulling like crazy!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
suggestion on the phosphate reactor if you havent thought of it, i went to walmart and bought a under sink carbon water filter, bought a refillable DI filter canister on ebay for 6 bucks and used 3/8 line and hooked up a power head to it, end result was pretty cheap, think i even got the carbon filter on clearence

1 - 10 of 10 Posts