The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to house a derasa/squamosa clam in a RSM 130D if the clam was up higher but still on a flat surface? The lighting is 2x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps & 4x Blue LED Moonlights. If so which one requires less light?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clams will move, so you might out it there but it will find a spot it likes. if it likes a spot where there isnt enough light it will die. i would only try to keep a clam under t5ho (maybe), but mostly halides or LED's.
ya ive tried croceas and maximas but they all died but they need more light than derasas/sqamosas do.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
i would only try another clam if you upgrade or supplement your lighting. the light requirements are different, but they are all high light creatures. unless you want to keep spending money on clams that will probably die, i would save your money and put in LED supplement or upgrade to halide or full LED

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would only try another clam if you upgrade or supplement your lighting. the light requirements are different, but they are all high light creatures. unless you want to keep spending money on clams that will probably die, i would save your money and put in LED supplement or upgrade to halide or full LED
I thought about that but the estimate was $700 and i would rather save up for another tank that get new lighting. but im going to my lfs 2day so i might try one clam and see how it works out and if it doesnt then ill give up.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Alex gave you some very good advice. If you did some shopping around, you should be able to upgrade your lights for much less than $700.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Squamosa do require a bit less light, problem is they are also sand dwelling clams...so trying to place one up on rocks to get it closer to the light is probably not a good idea.
I read that they can be higher up if theyre on a flat surface. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Both of these species grow really really fast. They don't remain attached to a hard surface for long. If you place them in the rocks, it's just a matter of time (probably not long) before they fall. Potentially killing them and/or what ever they fall on. You're trying to keep bright light, sand dwelling, animals, in low light, with no sand. Why even attempt it? You have already killed two clams. Why not upgrade your lights so you can keep clams, or face the fact that your system isn't able to support them? Why keep buying clams when you know you're not able to keep them alive in your system, as it is? I'm not trying to sound harsh. I just don't want you to throw your money away, and needlessly kill an animal in the process.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
Both of these species grow really really fast. They don't remain attached to a hard surface for long. If you place them in the rocks, it's just a matter of time (probably not long) before they fall. Potentially killing them and/or what ever they fall on. You're trying to keep bright light, sand dwelling, animals, in low light, with no sand. Why even attempt it? You have already killed two clams. Why not upgrade your lights so you can keep clams, or face the fact that your system isn't able to support them? Why keep buying clams when you know you're not able to keep them alive in your system, as it is? I'm not trying to sound harsh. I just don't want you to throw your money away, and needlessly kill an animal in the process.
+100

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got1 about 1.5 weeks ago. Put in the sand ffor a day and then in the rock. I left for a week and the person taking care of the tank said it moved (or fell) and they moved it back up. when i got home it was by a torch coral and i didnt want it 2 get stung so i moved it since it wasnt attached. Then 2day it fell again so I left it in the sand and it isnt looking 2 good. So it can get more light could I get something like a petri dish and fill it with sand and put it up higher so the clam could still be in sand?

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
I think it would have to be a deeper dish. not just like 1/2 inch or something.

I don't mean to be rude, but you were told it wasn't a good choice. For the cost of those 4 clams you purchased, you could be like $200 closer to getting a nice light setup.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the 1st 2 were gifts and i had no clue what to do for them. that was a long time ago when i was just starting out. This guy was an ORA squamosa for only $40 and if this doesnt work out then i wont try again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know where you live but it sounds like the clam is already showing signs of peril. If at all possible, there has got to be a fellow reefer close by that could take it off your hands rather than waiting until it's too late? It sounds even by your own acknowledgement, that the clam is dying, so could that possibly be an option? Just a thought?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i took a tupperware container, put some sand in there, and put a rock in there and set the clam on the rock. then, i set the container between rocks so the clam couldnt jump. he attached, then detached, but attached again. I moved the container up higher and now the clams lips r reaching over the shell and he is very happy. I will take the rock+clam out of the container in a few days after im sure he wont leave. he is happy and healthy even after a few falls which just goes 2 show that u have 2 try to succeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.