The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of you RSM 130 owners know of the chamber of death in the back of the tank. Well I was just cleaning out the deitritus from back there since the accumulation was causing algae problems. Well I had my music blaring so I didnt hear any of this happen... I was netting out some deitritus and must have knocked the circulation pump a few times and didnt know I had messed it up... well all the deitritus from the back of the tank blew into the main portion of the tank, making the water so cloudy you couldnt see even 2cm into it... I didnt realize it had happened until a few minutes after it started when a family member pointed it out... Well I unplugged the ph's and rushed to do a 50% w/c. Everything was coated with a layer of brown crap. So after the w/c the visibility is way better but the water is still cloudy though you can see through the majority of it. I just put in fresh carbon and Im going to get more water for w/c tomorrow. Do you guys think the tank will be okay?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No... Ill go by petsmart or something tomorrow and pick some up... If I continue to do like 25% w/c a day for the next week or longer if needed, do you think I can fix this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
This happened to me (not exactly the same way) but the massive cloud of detritus that left a lovely brown dust over everything. When I first setup/transfered my new to me tank that was not maintained properly by the previous owner I failed to change the sandbed out and it got stirred horribly during the move/aquascape. I Being a noob thought nothing of it at first "oh that's just how the ocean is it's only silt, I've dove in worse, it'll clear"... then it hit me "uh oh closed system that's not good". While you do want to check your Ammonia the one thing I saw skyrocket was Nitrate so test for that daily. I had a few old HOB skimmers laying around from my freshwater tanks (pre-planting) and put them on with carbon filter inserts (total of 4 filter insterts spread over 3 filters) and ran that. It was cleared up in about a day and a half. I did change the pads after the first 48 hours though and they were NASTY! Carbon has a strong affinity for waste so running carbon (or more carbon if you already are) through a mechanical filter will help bind up some of that detritus in the water column (just make sure to change or remove the nasty pad daily or every other day during this). Once the water cleared every rock, coral, and inch of sand in the tank was covered in "dust" but the immediate "emergency" was over. Over the next 5 days every night I would go in with a turkey baster (tight spots) and a power head (overall area) to blast the live rock which would again release a huge amount of 'dust' into the water, following that I would then do a 10% water change. I kept all the HOB's running that week as damage control. All of the corals were closed the whole time and the fish were not very active (can you blame them, I wouldn't be excited about swimming in a sewer). I changed cartridges a total of 3 times until the weekend when I tore it down and changed the substrate.

I don't think you need to change your sandbed (if you have one) I needed to for other reasons anyways (it was rotting... literally) and my wife wanted me to move the tank :freak:

Check Nitrates! My the tank is still in recovery phase form the move/'silt out'/substrate swap. It's been a few weeks now and my parameters are pretty much near perfect. Going through a small phosphate/algae cycle though but to be expected considering what the tank just went through.

Now for some words of encouragement. Through all of this fiasco I lost ZERO livestock (other than a few snails/hermits that went with the old sand bed). My corals have been doing amazing recently. I'm sure your tank will make it through this. I would run as much mechanical/carbon as you can for a few days, blow out the rock as often as your schedule allows and do frequent 10-20% water changes.

·
Administrator
49,479 Posts
So all of you RSM 130 owners know of the chamber of death in the back of the tank. Well I was just cleaning out the deitritus from back there since the accumulation was causing algae problems. Well I had my music blaring so I didnt hear any of this happen... I was netting out some deitritus and must have knocked the circulation pump a few times and didnt know I had messed it up... well all the deitritus from the back of the tank blew into the main portion of the tank, making the water so cloudy you couldnt see even 2cm into it... I didnt realize it had happened until a few minutes after it started when a family member pointed it out... Well I unplugged the ph's and rushed to do a 50% w/c. Everything was coated with a layer of brown crap. So after the w/c the visibility is way better but the water is still cloudy though you can see through the majority of it. I just put in fresh carbon and Im going to get more water for w/c tomorrow. Do you guys think the tank will be okay?
This is one of the times wherer having a canister filter with the water polishing filter can be a life saver.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am kind of pissed bc I was just going to order a reactor for phosban/carbon and then this happened... If only I had ordered it a bit earlier it wouldve probably helped a lot.

The water is actually pretty clear (not beatifully clear but clear for this just happening) and everything looks good. Im really happy that I have been converting my tank into a mostly softie tank (I only have 3 LPS and the rest is softie) and they can handle dirtier water so my corals will most likely be okay... All the fish are out active and so are hermits and snails... The one thing I am worried about is my rock flower anemone. He is very hardy. He has been with me for almost 2 years and has gone from about 4" in diameter to almost 8" when fully expanded. But he has been really contracted and Im not sure how he'll do in these water conditions. And my clownfish was pretty stressed when his last anemone died so I dont think he'll like another host dieing.

Im looking to do overall at least 100% water over the course of this week. Also, as Nate_bro suggested, I will probably go to a store and pick up some Seachem Prime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.